A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the first REAL embroidery i made! (pics from start to finish)  (Read 4716 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2012 , fairy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amarok
« on: June 26, 2012 03:55:31 PM »

because, really, the ones i've made before are just dabbling with the embroidery software. now that i've used it for quite some time and have seen how embroideries are made (ie. i've purchased MANY from the fantabulous Urban Threads and watched when they embroider themselves, baffled at the complexity..) i'm finally ready to make some amazing stuff myself. Smiley this. is. awesome!

you shouldn't toot your own horn, but really, come on, this is the coolest thing i've EVER made!

i started out with drawing a fairie. yes, i love them. yes, i've wanted to make something like this since i got my machine. so shoot me!

ps. really need to get me some better felt tip pens.....

after a few hours of digitizing, hand and back ache, i had that!

and then i had to wait ONE HOUR for it to stitch itself!

i loved seeing something I MADE on the screen of my embroidery machine.. ohhh!

sorry, you're not gonna get the whole picture just yet! something went wrong when i embroidered it out, and some of it came out a bit wonky. the fabric shifted during.. Sad(( well, the outcome is amazing in any case and i just needed to share!!

thanks Smiley

and comments and critisism welcome, although you can't really properly do it until i get it stitched out fully and can show you the whole picture Grin

ohh! and stats: it takes about an hour, it has 8 colors, 8 color changes, stitch count 35639, size 241*187mm
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012 04:00:50 PM by amarok » THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is "Susitaika"? Susi is Wolf and Taika is Magic in Finnish.. Come and find out more!

www.susitaika.com

Free embroidery designs at www.susitaika.com/freebies.html

http://susitaika.com/shop for all your shopping needs
madcrafter
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012 04:59:06 PM »

Love the fairy!  I've been wanting an embroidery machine but $10,000 is a bit steep.  Thanks for sharing what beautiful embroidery can be done on a machine with a talented designer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enjoy crafting today!

Lois the raving crafter

Stop by my blog and say hi!
http://ravingsofamadcrafter.blogspot.com/
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012 05:43:54 PM »

beautiful work
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Ffrogg526

Stitches in the Musical Weave

I can do that... I think.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012 06:07:11 PM »

This is fantastic!  I have to agree!  I would love seeing something I dreamt of on an embroidery machine.  The fairy is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tanza
Angel in the making....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012 02:36:08 AM »

You did a really good job.

Sometimes when the outline shifts it can also be the way it has digitized. You may need to go back and enlarge the image to make sure the outline is right on top of or slightly overlapping the edge of the filled section.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
amarok
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012 03:08:07 AM »

^ i know. i have made many things before. this time it was obvious it was because of fabric shifting. the outline was where it should be in the design, but it shifted a good half a centimeter away. that's a big shift.

to save my money i wanted to make it smaller and embroidered it out. no shifting whatsoever as i predicted. this one has 16173 stitches and it's 130*100mm.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is "Susitaika"? Susi is Wolf and Taika is Magic in Finnish.. Come and find out more!

www.susitaika.com

VampireMouse
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012 03:19:12 AM »

It looks fantastic! Nice to see your project from concept picture to finished stitch. What machine do you have?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amarok
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012 03:29:15 AM »

thank you for your nice comments!

i use the Brother PR-620 six needle machine. i was very tempted at making this a six-color design, because i'm so lazy... Grin but then i thought that losing 2 colors might be amiss with this one. dunno. would love to try out different colorschemes Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.susitaika.com

VampireMouse
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012 04:08:50 AM »

I like the two tones of green in the hair, it reminds me of Medusa. It would be cool to see different colors too. Maybe purple hair and green wings? I'm planning on getting a embroidery machine in the next few months. This has made me want one all the much sooner but alas I must wait.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012 11:12:25 AM »

Gorgeous! How awesome to see your drawing come to life in stitches!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012 12:09:43 PM »

It looks beautiful!  I agree, the two toned hair is really pretty.  And I was impressed by your initial drawing by itself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
amarok
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012 03:19:22 AM »

aislynn, thanks! i have my beautiful boyfriend to thank for that. ten years ago i used to draw stuff like that - i used colors and drew things. then, when all i heard was negative critisism (it's very common here in finland) i gave up on drawing and painting. last christmas i got the best gift ever, i met the best person i've ever met, and still 6 months later we are together, and will be for a long time i think Smiley he's my inspiration, my muse, and my supporter. this piece really would not exist without my boyfriend, who always complements everything i do in a very grounded way and sees good in everything i do and encourages me. and that's also why i love this piece so much Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.susitaika.com

waggonswest

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012 07:45:42 AM »

That is a fabulous project.  Your art is beautiful.  The way you digitized it really enhanced the original picture.  You did a great job. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
mindeeo
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012 08:03:52 AM »

Wow... great job!  I love the wings, they appear to have so much dimension!

What software are you using?  How long did it take you to learn how to use the software before taking this on?   Or was this inclusive of that time?

I have the Bernina software, but have been a chicken to try it out (and have had so little time). I would like to get motivated, and maybe this will be enough...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
p.kok
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012 02:05:53 AM »

this is awesome! your drawing is beautiful, but the way it turns out on fabric is just magical Smiley
I don't know if you already answered that and I missed it somewhere, but what software did you use? I bought an embroidery/sewing machine half a year ago and I've started learning digitizing and then gave up many times utill this point:) It's just soooo hard and so different from any adobe programs that I kinda know how to use:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tortilladesigns
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012 11:29:37 AM »

Awesome job!! This is beautiful, I just saw you featured over at urban threads so I came over the craftser, where I had to remember my login information (it's been a long time!) just so I could say awesome job! It looks like you are using the Brother PE software (Next perhaps since you have a six needle?) to digitize, is that correct? I have a baby Brother 1250 machine and I long for a 6 needle! One day....

Anyway great job, can't see what you make next. It's awesome you were able to share the whole process from concept to completion.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012 06:21:26 AM by Aislynn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
amarok
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012 11:32:37 AM »

Thank you so much for the positive feedback! I'd love to show you more, but these things are so complex to digitize and you really have to have a good image to start with Wink

As I've said time and again on this site (so you can see more of my postings on my developement with the software) I use the Design Era, free Stitch Era Embroidery software to digitize things. I also have the Husqvarna 4D Embroidery Software system that I have bought that I use a lot, since with the Design Era you don't get as good a 3D image as I'd like to get. The first post of me doing something cool with Stitch Era seems to be in October 2011, so I've used the software for about a year now, just dabbling with it.

I've had the Husqvarna software for four years or so now, and I can tell you that it's just a kids toy compared to the Design Era. If I had the cash, I would buy Wilcom software (that's what the UT gang uses) but the Finnish dealer said it would cost over 15 000 euros (the most versitile version, which the dude said I needed to get the results that I want). The prosess of making a design is fairly similar in Wilcom and in Design Era, so since I've already had a whole day-lesson about how to use Wilcom, I was pretty well equipped to start using Design Era on my own. Because, really, the support they have is non-existent. I've been tempted to buy the software, since it's so much cheaper than Wilcom, but have read some awful stories about people paying for it but not receiving the CD.. So now I'm just constantly hoping that the free version will continue working, since I'd hate to lose a good thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.susitaika.com

VelvetVamp777
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012 04:14:06 PM »

That looks super awesome! You've inspired me to give machine digitizing another try. I have so many designs in my head that could be fabulous in embroidery, but I lack the training to digitize. I'll have to get some free software and give it another shot.

Thanks for the inspiration! Your fairy looks beautiful. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amarok
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012 05:48:43 AM »

you are SO welcome, VelvetVamp! I only hang out at craftster to get inspiration so it's awesome to hear that I've given it to someone Smiley you really should try it out more, if you have ideas in your head! mine is quite a blank now, I focuse too much on the "how will I get this digitized" rather than just drawing something I like and take it from there.. Sad I love to make myself all these annoying blocks... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.susitaika.com

amarok
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012 12:48:24 PM »

here again with different colors

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012 12:48:46 PM by amarok » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.susitaika.com

WraithKitten
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013 11:02:37 PM »

This is absolutely amazing! I had no idea such a machine even existed for the home user! Now, I must save my pennies for that machine! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013 10:19:13 AM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2012 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2012 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Perfectkelly
... I'm not really perfect but shhhhh..

Cushty Home Comforts

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013 07:42:27 AM »

that is amazing! dedication!! the face is wkd! love it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... I'm not really perfect but shhhhh..

www.facebook.com/CushtyHomeComforts
JudyDB
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013 12:46:34 AM »

Fabulous design. I haven't got any software yet because right now I don't have the time to take to learn it. I love Urban Threads as well. I have a brother PE770. As soon as I can (since I'm new here ) I will post pics of some of the things I've done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Judy

I sew and do machine embroidery. At this stage of life, I try to keep things simple.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Read Your Camera Light Meter
Photography Tips: Using Fill Flash
Birthday and Other Events Photography Tips
Photography Supplies and Gear For Cold Weather Shoots
3 Rules for Better Underwater Photos
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...