A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Olivia's Dress Up Box (LOTS of pictures!)  (Read 1857 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 26, 2012 12:49:44 PM »

So for a while now I've been wanting to make my niece a dress up box.  And knew this year was finally the year to do it!  So, I've been busily making some things, and buy other things, to go into her dress up box.  It has a combination of things made by me, stuff bought on clearance after Halloween, and stuff from the thrift store.  She turned 3 on Sunday, and we had her party last night.  The dress up box was a hit!  She ended up being a princess ballerina with a crown and a faerie wand.

So, here are the items that I made!

Super Hero costume, complete with cape, mask, and cuffs!

Here's an upclose of the cuffs!  I found some tutorials online for the mask and cuffs.  The cape I just made on the fly.  I cut out a triangle to the size I wanted.  Ironed over the edge, pinned it and sewed it.  I made a larger fold on the top so I could string through some ribbon.  The mask tutorial can be found here:  http://www.vanillajoy.com/super-hero-mask-pattern-tutorial.html
and the cuffs tutorial can be found here:  http://seekatesew.blogspot.com/2011/11/superhero-cuffs.html

Yarn hair braid wigs!  I found the idea on etsy, and knew I could whip up a couple.  The blonde one didn't come out nearly as long as I wanted.  *sigh* I guess its just braided princess hair now instead of Rapunzel.  I do have A LOT of yarn leftover, so I could make another one.  Both are adjustable to your head size.

Here is a work in progress shot!  Measuring out the yarn between a dowel stuck in my chair to another chair.  It worked pretty well doing it this way.  Then I cut the ends on one end, tied a string to the middle of the top bunch and then braided away!  I then pulled the braid through the top, making it wearable and adjustable!

A felt mustache!  I drew it out, sewed in the stretchy cord to the inside of one side, and then hand stitched it together with embroidery floss!

Felt crown and wand!  The crown tutorial I used to make this can be found here:  http://balancingeverything.com/2008/04/30/waldorf-like-felt-crown-tutorial/
I made the wand myself.  I sprayed a dowel with adhesive and then wound on the ribbon.  I glued a jewel to the bottom of it.  I then make a felt star, hand stitched it together with embroidery floss, stuffed it, and glued it with hot glue to the end of the dowel.

A wizard cape!  I've had this fabric forever and when I dug it out, it was screaming to be made into a wizard cape!  So I listened!  Eventually I will be making her a hat to go with, but I was struggling with making a cone on Saturday, for some reason.  ^_^

A tutu made out of strips of tulle attached to a ribbon.

And a progress shot!  Tying all the strips of tulle onto the ribbon. 

I can't wait to make more!  She will definitely be getting new stuff for Christmas! 

Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
Poison_Of_Gull

Crafting is in my blood and glitter is in my soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012 01:03:01 PM »

I think this is just a wonderful idea. I am a nanny and even though my little one is only 5 months old, maybe by the time I get started and finished she will be three!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for wrist watches or old clocks. Broken or working, doesn't matter! I will swap anything you would like.
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012 02:29:11 PM »

This is so sweet!! What a great auntie you are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

that1spazticchik

<3 The Donnas <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012 07:24:12 PM »

You are the coolest aunt ever! What fun dress up things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make White Chocolate Shortbread
Pumpkin Caramel Oatmeal Squares Recipe
How to Make Frightful Candy Apples
Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream Recipe
Halloween Ghosts
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...