A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Transfering a photo onto watercolor paper. Preserving workability?  (Read 2062 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2012 12:46:46 PM »

Hello,

I would like to transfer a photo onto watercolor paper and then paint on top of it. I've heard of using turpentine but I am worried about my portfolio smelling like chemicals.

I've heard of using acetone as well but only on black and white images.

Does anybody have a link or some advice on transferring color images to watercolor paper while preserving workability?
Any and all help is appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012 03:01:14 AM »

This is late, so you may have found it yourself, but you are talking about toner transfers and I like to use them for a variety of things, including transfering onto wood, paper, fabric, rubber.  It works well for transfering onto porous surfaces, but you do have to practice to get the effect if are looking for.  You have to print your image with a device that uses toner, not ink.  So use a laser printer, or have a photocopy made.  When transfering, your image will be reversed, so you may want to reverse your image before printing, if you want it to come out a certain orientation -especially important if there are letters/numbers/signs in the image.  Also, after applying the medium to transfer, BURNISH well, to make sure the image transfers fully, and you may want to clamp at the edges to make sure there is not shifting.  Apparently you can do this with magazine images too, but I have not tried this myself yet.  Yes, it is odourous, so you want to work in a well ventilated space, but it dries quickly and the end product, for me, has not really kept the smell after drying and airing.  I think wood retained the odour a bit longer, but does not hold the scent in the long run.

I often have small images, so I use a blender pen to have a bit more control and pressure as I am transfering, but here are some links:

http://tagartcreations.tripod.com/toner_transfer_method.htm

http://www.ebsqart.com/Education/Articles/Mixed-Media-and-Collage/9/Live-Studio-Image-Transfer/37/

http://whollykao.com/2011/12/30/the-photo-to-wood-transfer/

http://onyxnox.blogspot.ca/2010/05/getting-high-on-solvents.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012 08:45:34 AM »

Thanks for the reply! I am actually working on the project as we speak. I actually ended up borrowing a friend's Wacom tablet and manipulating the images digitally before printing them out; but I do enough weird techniques in my renderings that I am sure I will need to do image transfer in the future. The links are very helpful, thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Novelist Lynda La Plante Introduces the Red Dahlia
Archbishop Carl Bean Talks About His New Book: I Was Born This Way
Lori Armstrong Reveals a Bit About Her Novel No Mercy
Kresley Cole Reveals Her Writing Process
Author Jay McGraw Discusses His Life Strategies for Dealing with Bullies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...