A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a clean slice of wood without damaging bark  (Read 431 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Squiver
« on: June 24, 2012 12:07:46 AM »

Thought it was simple enough. Turns out, not so much.

Went out into the woods to collect some fairly freshly fallen small branches - about 1-1.5cm diameter each, of many different species of trees - to cut into simple wood slices for post earrings and beads, ala something like this, and through some twist of fate, they were left to then bake in my car in full sun for a day and a half, leaving them amply dry.

On day three I took a handsaw to them, only to find that the saw nearly instantly ripped the bark off of the branch, and the tooth of the saw left a nasty jagged pattern that all but eliminated the natural rings of the branch and left the whole thing looking like a miniature cork.

I'm clearly no woodworker - I'm a botany student, and a pretty poor one at that. Does anyone with more experience have any advice for making a simple, clean cut that won't damage the ring of the tree or the bark? Clearly species of tree is pretty important, but I'm not sure I really have the formula for freshness of wood/drying either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012 07:39:17 AM »

I'd probably try cutting the rings when they are still fresh/wet and also using a wood saw blade with much much smaller teeth.  Which size did you use?  Cutting them while dry allows no natural lubricate and they'll crumble and crush much easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Squiver
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012 11:12:12 PM »

I don't recall the tooth size exactly but it was pretty fine. To be honest, though, it was also not the newest, sharpest piece of equipment you might imagine, which probably didn't help the tearing off the bark bit.

I suppose my next step, then, would be to find a nice fresh cut of wood from a tree... as much as I detest the thought of hacking off a perfectly good branch in mid-summer for a craft experiment, I suppose I won't put any of it to waste.

Would there be any issue in letting the formed, wet beads dry on a piece of fishing line or beading string? Most sites I've referred to recommend waxed linen thread, but I honestly can't imagine why that would be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012 06:49:59 PM »

Those in the link were cut with a band saw. Here is how you can make it work, dry or wet.

Take your pieces and use a knife to go around the branch, then a gap a small distance away. Remove the section of bark in that gap and then go in with your saw. You're not going to get a good clean and clear cut, but the finer the teeth the better the cut (if the wood is bone dry you can use a rough cut hack saw blade). Sand with medium grit, soak in a urethane or acrylic sealant for an hour or so to make sure it soaks in, let dry, sand with medium (120), fine (220), and then very fine (400).

Let me know if you have further questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Your Makeup Poolside
One Direction Nail Polish and Make-Up Lines
Tips For Bridal Hair, Growing Brows and DIY Scrubs
How to Apply Under Eye Highlighting Powder
Back To School: Age Appropriate Make Up Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...