A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finding an inexpensive drum carder or hand carders?  (Read 6132 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

breabadair
« on: June 23, 2012 05:50:19 PM »

Hello! I'm really not sure where to go to find a decently priced drum carder or even hand carders. I guess I should have thought that through when I ordered a raw fleece. But I didn't think of it until today. Does anyone know where a good place to find those would be? I've checked craigslist, but haven't found anything, online they are way too expensive. I'm a student who hasn't been able to find a job so, money is tight. I might have to just clean the fleece and put it away until I can get something. Which is unfortunate, I was going to use it to spin this summer and fall.

But if anyone can give me some ideas on places to look, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012 07:33:21 AM »

You don't necessarily need a drum carder, but it's nice to have one.  Hand cards work really nicely.  And they are a lot cheaper then the drum.  But kbbspin.org is a good place to look. The site is somewhat tricky to navigate, but there are some good deals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

breabadair
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012 02:16:09 PM »

Thanks, Belladune! I'll check it out. I'll be fine with either, I just was having a hard time finding a deal on either one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
francorios
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012 09:26:42 PM »

*Carding wool with dog rakes and slicker brushes.*

I have used dog slicker brushes as hand cards to process wool and it can be done, if you are patient. Carding is a great excuse for sitting in front of the TV or watching DVDs.

I would sit down with a paper grocery sack of washed wool on one side and empty paper grocery sack on the other side. Make little mini batts with the slickers and put those in the empty bag. Be sure to have 3 or 4 empty bags on hand because the fluffy mini batts will take up much more room than the washed wool.

If you are really in need of obsessive compulsive activity, use dog rakes to pick the wool first, then use the slickers to make mini batts.

You can use a c-clamp to attach one rake or slicker to a table, to reduce the wear/tear on your hands.

Do not do this activity on the good sofa or wearing good pants. Put down a cloth if you do it over the carpet. Much dust and Vegetation Matter (VM) will fall out of your wool no matter how well you washed it.

It was this activity that allowed me to whole heartedly give my lovely wife Tracy permission to shop for a drum carder when she asked. We now have a Strauch Petite.

But I still plan to use my rakes and slickers just to keep my hand in. At least I have been using rakes to pick the wool before putting through the carder.

Dog rakes can cost less than $10 each. Slickers cost around $10 to $15 each, compared to $50 to $100 and more for a pair of regular wool cards and/or combs.

Have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
breabadair
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012 08:56:48 PM »

Thank you! next time I go to the pet store I'll check out the dog brushes. My only concern with that was that I have issues with my wrists, in part from a childhood injury. But still worth having in a pinch! Good idea Smiley
As a temporary solution, I'm renting time on a drum carder from the yarn store near me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012 02:26:16 PM »

I think I finally discovered why drum carders cost so much, did some research and found out that is seems that there is no company that is retailing the carding material for the drums for a reasonable price.

Best I found was about $100, I'm going to be contacting a couple of other places to find out if there is any cheaper way to get the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
breabadair
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012 05:06:35 PM »

That is interesting. Are you talking about the um...cloth with the teeth on it? I wondered if making one would be cheaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012 05:24:50 PM »

I am indeed talking about the cloth, I'm going to be contacting an industrial manufacturer that's near me and see what they have to say.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
AlpacaNanny
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012 06:58:56 AM »

Do you have any spinning or weaving guilds near you?  You might be able to borrow a drum carder from a member of one of these organizations.  Here is a link for USA.

http://www.interweave.com/spin/resources/spinning_guilds/

Also, you may be able to barter some of the fleece with someone that would card it.

I have a Louet Jr drum carder I bought 5 years ago and love it.   I tried the hand carding, but it takes too much time for me.  Yes, the cloth is very expensive, but it lasts a long time and used carders are hard to find, and generally not much less than new ones.

Louise
THIS ROCKS   Logged
breabadair
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012 10:07:02 PM »

There isn't a guild where I live. But there is one in Tucson where my parents live. I've tried to get in contact with them before, but they gave me the run around (pushed me off onto another member who never responded). Along with that, when I went to school here I heard many bad things about the Tucson Guild and was warned by more than one person to stay away, so it's really put me off of trying the guild here. So, I'm just going to wait and save up some money, then get a drum carder next summer.

AlpacaNanny, I do agree, from what I've seen the used ones aren't much cheaper, and when they are they get snatched up super quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012 06:56:13 AM »

I once shockingly found a pair of Schacht hand carders at the thrift store for $3. You can bet I snatched those things off the rack faster than lightning....

There is a book called "Spinning and Weaving with Wool" by Paula Simmons that is out of print, but has instructions on how to make a variety of spinning and weaving equipment, including (I think) a drum carder. Doesn't help the problem of the expensive carding cloth though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linville
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012 05:03:22 AM »

Newbie needs drum carder.  I have sheeps wool and alpaca wool and need to find a DRUM CARDER.
Can anyone help?  I just can't pay $700 or more.
Does anyone out there have one they are no longer using?
I would gladly pay for the trouble and cost of shipping.
Thanks
Linville
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sammy
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012 03:45:03 PM »

I bought a Brother drum carder in April of this year and I love it.  They have a shop on Etsy.  The one that I bought was under $300 and after tightening up a few bolts, I was carding within minutes of getting it out of the package.  It is soooo much easier to spin with fleece that's been carded on my drum carder than what I did on my hand carders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Crochet Ideas
How to Crochet a Small Smiley Flower
How to Crochet a Large Smiley Flower
How to Crochet Jolene Sugarbaker Sweater Cuffs
Duct Tape Bracelets
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...