A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine for college- which one to get?  (Read 604 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jelliebellieellie
« on: June 23, 2012 09:35:51 AM »

My mom and step-dad have decided that they will be getting me a sewing machine as a graduation present to take to college with me in the fall. Im am completely clueless about which one to get. Any suggestions?

I will be attending a small (less than 1200 students) liberal arts college, majoring in a biology type science (so not tons of free time, but...), playing a varsity sport (tennis!), and living in a double occupancy dorm room (meaning, zero space...).

Is it even worth buying a machine for college? I know i won't have as much time as i do at home now, but I do love sewing, and could possibly make some money on the side altering things for people in the same dorm as me.

Any ideas from y'all?

much appreciated Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012 08:26:57 PM »

Hm...given your situation, you may want to hold off on a machine, or at least, hold off on bringing one with you.  You are going to most likely have little room to store one, but the bigger issue is absolutely no room to use one.  Added to the no time thing, which sounds like it's pretty guaranteed.  If anything, I'd suggest investing in a very nice sewing kit for hand sewing.  Often times, mending is something that can, and possibly should, be done by hand anyway, so that may provide a nice creative and possibly lucrative outlet that lets you get some sewing in, without the requirement of finding space, or staying in one spot.  If you bring supplies to do hand work, you can take your sewing to a commons area, to the cafeteria, or to coffee shops, so you can sew and be social at the same time.

If your parents would still like to buy you a machine, go to a shop that specializes in sewing machines, bring some scrap fabric, and ask to try some of the models out.  Most dealers will let you (their fabric tends to be thick and crisp enough to make every machine smooth and awesome--regular quilt cotton, or whatever you usually sew with, will give you a better idea of the machine's handling).  That's the best way to find a machine that suits you.

And good luck in school!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012 02:36:06 PM »

When my daughter was still in high school, I got her a Kenmore Mini-Ultra.  It is a smaller sized machine but it has a full sized motor.  It is great for traveling.  She toted that machine back and forth to school al the time (she was in theatre and a costumer).  It is a great machine and can sew pretty much anything. 

I do agree though about holding off on getting a machine right away.  You need to get into your room and see just what kind of space you will have to store it.  I am sure that you would be able to find places to set up and sew and it would be a great way to meet new people.  And you are probably right about being able to make a little extra cash on the side doing alterations for people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Philadelphia Buys More Sweatpants Than Any Other US City
Newsman Glenn Beck... Now Making Jeans?
2 Quick Fixes for Runs in Your Tights
Elle Fanning Explains Why She Refuses to Wear Jeans
Fall Fashion Trends: What To Wear To Work
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...