A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dye Painting a Goodwill Wedding dress  (Read 2114 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jelliebellieellie
« on: June 23, 2012 09:23:01 AM »

Hi, this is my first post, so please be nice Smiley Sorry if i make any faux pas.

So, I bought a wedding dress at goodwill to use for my senior pictures. (odd I know, but that's just kinda the way I roll!) It worked fantastically for that, and looked gorgeous draped over my horse and as I semi-trashed it frolicking through the local swamp.....Smiley Then I threw it in a bag, stuffed that in my closet and didn't think about it until yesterday, when I found it again.

It really wasn't that dirty, so I decided to play with it. I took it in some so it fit better , took out ALL the pickups, and cut off the train. I was left with a plain, cream colored, a-line satin-y dress, which was far to plain for me, and still looked like a wedding dress.

So, being me, I mixed up a package of navy blue RIT dye, laid the dress on some towels and trash bags, and painted abstract stripes, swirls, and splatters of navy dye all over it, and the bottom fourth of the skirt completely navy blue with an ombre effect. I love it! But, now I'm worried I messed up.....
after painting, I let it dry overnight, without rinsing it out at all. The bottom portion of the dress is still a tad damp, but it's getting drier.

Can i just wait until it is completely dry, or do i have to rinse it? Being a goodwill dress, it is missing the tags and thus i have no idea if it is dry clean only or what.

here is what it looks like...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150979057034303&set=a.10150565546774303.398353.613919302&type=1&ref=nf

and this is the original dress (the bolero and sash were just worn with it...)https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=297385336940635&set=t.613919302&type=3&theater
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012 11:46:58 AM »

Cool idea!

Yes, you can just let it dry completely (although you probably have already at this point).

Your problem might come when you try to wash it. Satin is tricky to dye, especially with something like RIT. If it has polyester in it at all, the dye will probably just wash right out. I had this happen to me with some fabric scraps I got at the thrift store. Have you tried washing yet? How's the dye holding up?

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jelliebellieellie
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012 08:55:28 PM »

I let the navy blue dry all the way, then added green and pink dye. I used a hair dryer to get it all the way dry quicker, then ironed it on the highest heat the fabric could stand with no steam. Someone told me that that would help set the color. I also added a halter top out of black soft tule, and I am so pleased Smiley I will probably never wash it, as i only plan to wear it once or twice (it's definatly a FORMAL dress....I have a thing for them. This is the fourth one I have made this year...) , and if I happen to get something on it I might try having it dry cleaned. So I think I'm set. I did clip a piece off the bottom one it was dry, and it didn't run when i got it wet, not even when i soaked it. I am going to post pictures of it once I finish the hem in completed projects! Be sure to look for it, I'm really proud of it  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012 06:07:27 AM »

Awesome! So glad it worked out! Smiley Thanks for the update!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elizabeth Rosner Talks About Blue Nude
Denise Jaden Talks About Losing Faith
Jason Mattera Reveals His Favorite Movie
Zebrafish Book Trailer
Ellen Crosby Talks About The Viognier Vendetta
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...