A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Quick" and Clean (and cheap) Kitchen Update (soooo many photos)  (Read 5605 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 22, 2012 08:05:54 PM »

The ManFlesh and I have decided to move to another state and are in the process of preparing his house for sale.  It's a 1911 Craftsman with lots of nice unpainted wood work, built-ins and details.  But... the kitchen was an moderately sloppy 1980s redo that was a worn out style that was wearing out physically.  Obviously he doesn't want to dump a bunch of money into it so we decided to work with the existing footprint and cabinets, but to change all the surfaces except the floor.  That's where I come in with 7+ years experience as a decorative painter and a life-long interest in interiors.

Before the cabinets were a yellowed white, the counters were scratched and worn (and missing in places) nearly-maroon laminate, and the open cabinets painted to match the counters.  The light fixture was the standard builder's cheapo of the day and someone added a plug-in track light over the sink.  The cabinet hardware a period charming style in a worn and out-of-style brass finish.

The walls were a nice sagey green, but they were also full of pinholes and poorly patched spots.  The ceiling had some cracks and was what I like to call formerly-white.  Like all old homes, it didn't have lots of storage and adding some would be difficult, because that room had 4 (count 'em, 4) doors into/out of it.

NOW!  It's all in neutral black, white, greys with new brushed nickel hardware, stainless steel appliances and a cement counter veneer that imitates Carrera marble.

Because we know from watching HGTV, looking at listed houses online and talking with our awesome agent, that we had to clear the clutter we removed all the things from the shelves that weren't black/white/grey/silver/wood or our chosen accent color (purple).  We cleared up the garden window over the sink and I made a quick valence in a black/white/grey spoon and fork print to dress it up a bit.

We did the same on the other open shelving and packed up most of the small appliances stored there, but left a few to show that there was room for some and because we use those.  We packed up most of the cookbooks, etc., too.

The counter is a product called SkimStone which is a cement hybridized with an acrylic solution then tinted with proprietary pigments.  It's designed for concrete floors, but with a special bonding primer will adhere to laminate and tile.  The pic at the top shows it well.  The white tiles are left over from when I tiled the shower at my house which I sold last year and the black tiles are made from recycled glass that I bought on sale at a home center.

We got the dishwasher used from a seller on craigslist ($80); the KitchenAide range ($275) and light fixture ($27.50) used from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

One of the former owners seemed to think that expanding spray foam was duct tape and could fix anything.  Wink  Sigh.  So I shouldn't have been surprised when I started chipping away at this mess over the stove (knowing the old stove pipe vent was under there) that he'd just filled the pipe with, smeared some spackle on it then painted over it.  I repaired the plaster properly and while these 101 year old walls are far from perfect, at least they just show age, not neglect and indifference.

Before:

After:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012 12:18:38 AM »

You guys did an amazing job! I love the wood details and am glad that you left the older parts. It's an incredible kitchen! The "declutter" job you did is great. Someone will get a great house. Good luck on selling and I hope it goes fast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gr33nT3a
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012 02:54:59 AM »

I love old houses and all the crazy floor plans. When I lived in Monterey, CA my husband and I lived in an old victorian house split into four apartments. Our pantry actually used to be a door to another part of the house and was our neighbors closet on the other side. lol

The work you did in here really looks great. The counter top looks fantastic and makes the whole place look lighter. If I walked into that kitchen looking to buy I would be seriously tempted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Běifāng yǒu jiārn, jush r dl. Y g qīng rn chng, zi g qīng rn gu. Nng b zhī qīng chng yǔ qīng gu. Jiārn nn zi d.
北方有佳人,绝世而独立。一顾倾人城,再顾倾人国。宁不知倾城与倾国。佳人难再得。
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012 05:51:54 AM »

Look at you! It looks great, now come on over...I have repairs, I mean, we can talk over tea. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012 06:57:41 AM »

You guys did an amazing job! I love the wood details and am glad that you left the older parts. It's an incredible kitchen! The "declutter" job you did is great. Someone will get a great house. Good luck on selling and I hope it goes fast.

Thanks so much!  I should mention that when it comes to projects like this the "we" is "me."  Wink  The ManFlesh is a lot of wonderful things, but handy isn't really one of them.  He did help remove hardware, help move heavy things, pick up and return things from the store, and we worked together to install the dishwasher and reinstall the sink. 

I love old houses and all the crazy floor plans. When I lived in Monterey, CA my husband and I lived in an old victorian house split into four apartments. Our pantry actually used to be a door to another part of the house and was our neighbors closet on the other side. lol

The work you did in here really looks great. The counter top looks fantastic and makes the whole place look lighter. If I walked into that kitchen looking to buy I would be seriously tempted.

Mostly the floor plan here makes sense to modern people, but the kitchen will be tricky to gain anything from a remodel w/o blowing out the back of the house.  Smiley  It looks about 50% bigger with the new color scheme, lighting, and less stuff on the shelves.

Look at you! It looks great, now come on over...I have repairs, I mean, we can talk over tea. Cheesy

TheMistressT, Handywoman.   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012 03:09:49 PM »

The biggest improvement was those countertops. Amazing what a little paint can do. Looks great and if I weren't already planning to. Do butcher block counters in our kitchen I'd be asking your advice on the skim coat ones. They look that good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012 07:01:24 PM »

The biggest improvement was those countertops. Amazing what a little paint can do. Looks great and if I weren't already planning to. Do butcher block counters in our kitchen I'd be asking your advice on the skim coat ones. They look that good.

Thanks! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012 09:35:57 AM »

Wow! You did an amazing job.  I hope the place sells easily for y'all, it should with that kitchen.  I love the countertops, sounds just like what I need in my kitchen.  I've been trying to figure out what to do in there for a while now.  Plus, my uncle does the concrete floor coverings so he could probably help me out.  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012 09:30:44 PM »

Wow! You did an amazing job.  I hope the place sells easily for y'all, it should with that kitchen.  I love the countertops, sounds just like what I need in my kitchen.  I've been trying to figure out what to do in there for a while now.  Plus, my uncle does the concrete floor coverings so he could probably help me out.  Thanks for sharing!

Ooo!  Thanks!  Good luck with your project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SneakyFoxeh
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012 11:42:26 AM »

Pretty!  Love the outcome.  =)

Were the cement counter tops hard to do?  They're pretty and I'm guessing durable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Just Winging It
Jenette Kahn - First Female Comic Book Executive
Follow Your Passion
A Mother To So Many
Our Collection
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...