A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any writers on Craftster? (self publishing stuff)  (Read 536 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

antigone
« on: June 27, 2005 07:38:57 AM »

(Writing is a craft, isn't it?)

I'm very much into writing at the moment (always an aspiring writer, not always actually writing) and am thinking about a fast way to publish something and maintain control of my own work. I've looked at http://www.lulu.com which has both printed books and e-books, and I was just wondering if any of you have tried publishing something yourselves, how to make people find your book etc.

I will probably try submitting something to a publisher in the future, but I find myself writing so many different things (short stories, poems etc in two languages) that I can't even see myself how they could be put together. Any suggestions? (Hard to tell, perhaps, without reading my work.) This is also one of the reasons I'm considering publishing something myself; there would be no demands on length and so on, and I could incorporate some of my photos as well.

So... Any writers on Craftster with experiences or thoughts on this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hakue
Creative Chaos

You can't put that on a steak and eat it!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005 08:46:10 AM »

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.writing-world.com/selfpub/index.shtml

I write, although I'm not anywhere near ready to publish.  However, a few people on my site are, and this is one of the websites somebody mentioned is very helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art."
Tom Stoppard  

Horrah for quotes! Cheesy
josita
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005 02:48:27 PM »

My brother-in-law self-published a book and swears by (not at) Dan Poynter's "The Self-Publishing Manual"--which I've also read, thinking about my own work.  This book focuses mainly on the print world rather than e-publishing, but it covers lots of useful ground. You can get free info and inspiration at Poynter's website:

http://www.parapublishing.com

Also, don't know how familiar you are with the writing world, but the intro to all kinds of places to submit your work is the Writer's Market.

Keep writing! Keep reading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessliak
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005 03:22:35 PM »

Thanks, I never thought to ask that question here!  I too am trying to get published, but am stuck at the illustration part.  I think that I am going to go the self-pub way, just to see what happens.  Good info you guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

www.baskinginbliss. blogspot.com
www.lulu.com/content/292980
tygra
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005 09:11:16 AM »

oh wow. i am *so* glad i found this post! i was actually just doing a lil online research on this topic myself all morning, and then i thought i'd take a craftster break, and just happened to plop "book publishing" in the search box for fun - and lo and behold this is exactly what i was hoping for! the thought of publishing my own stuff is so daunting, but totally exciting at the same time. there's far less rejection (you're not going to turn down your *own* submission, now are you?) and it allows for complete creative control. the best way to begin may be to publish your own chapbook, that way you totally can combine all of your eclectic prose, poetry and photo elements, and combine your love of DIY to boot! a photocopier, some cardstock for the cover, and a little bit of time may just turn out to be your best starting step. then you can shop it around to indie bookstores in your area for consignment, or pimp it to friends and family since the cost should be fairly cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bercherry goodies make you feel bercheery inside!
http://ubercherry.com
http://ubercherry.blogspot.com
Neliamne
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005 09:02:39 AM »

I did NaNoWriMo (www.nanowrimo.org) last year, and as a prize for finishing, I was able to receive a free copy of my 'novel' from lulu.com.
It's not a book I'm ready to self-publish just yet, but lulu.com was great, and to be able to hold your book in your hands is really better than I would have thought.
Just keep writing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
The Makeup Secret That Will Make Your Skin Glow
Jaclyn Smith’s Beauty Secrets!
Rachel Zoe Spring 2014 - New York Fashion Week - Behind the Scenes & Runway
Think Like a Star with This Celeb Inspired Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...