A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make a meringue (skirt)?  (Read 662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dustyfro
« on: June 18, 2012 11:43:27 PM »

I was just in Value Village gathering bits and pieces for my steampunk costume (which is probably going to turn into 3 different costumes) and I saw, glory of glories, an amazing prom dress with the most fabulous skirt on it.  I think in the wedding world it's called meringue, like this http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/603/458/273/273458603_111.jpg but with BIGGER PEAKS.  Oh God, it was glorious.  It was a copper color, but also had kind of a broomstick skirt thing going on vertically?  If it hadn't been too long, a dress, and too expensive, I would have taken it.  Anyway, I've got a great green shiny broomstick skirt at home just begging to be part of this costume and so I've come to alter.

Number one, how do I make those peaks?  Is it just a trick of tacking it up randomly but evenly until it's the height I want?  Number two, am I going to need starch for this or something so that it's not droopy?  I'm taking it to my first Harry Potter convention, crushed into my suitcase, and I don't think they'll let me take starch in a can on the plane.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012 11:06:30 AM »

It's also called a pick-up skirt. I made a bustled 1880s skirt from Truly Victorian that used a similar method of creating the bustled portion. In the pattern, it was recommended to use net as a stabilizing element. You just put it under your fashion fabric and include it in the pick-ups to keep them poofy.

To make something like your example, you'll need to do a bit of math. You want the final length, the number of pick-ups you want in a given vertical line, and the "length" that will be taken up by each pick-up. For example, if you want 4 pick-ups per vertical line and each one takes up 8 inches (creating a 4 inch "tuck"), 4x4=24 inches worth of pick-ups to be factored into your final skirt length. In this example, your starting fabric would be a minimum of 4x8=48 inches long, plus the extra at the top without "tucks" up to your waistband. If you stagger your poofs where the next line of pick-ups is between the ones beside them (in this case, 3 pick-ups in every other line), you may need to add an extra few inches to the length of each pick-up in order to keep the hem even. I think it would be a 8 inches/4=2 inches in this example, because there are 4 pick-ups in the main lines. That would be 10 inches per pick-up in the staggered 3-pick-up lines. Holy crap, I hope that makes sense Tongue If not, I can try drawing pictures.

If you have a dress form, you can do it like the BS link. By starting with a skirt base that fits and is the correct length, you can tack a piece of fabric on top of it with the pick-ups until it's the same length as the underlying skirt. It would be even poofier if you include a layer of net like for a bustled skirt. It would be challenging to do it this way without a dressform, but if you've got a similarly-sized friend willing to stand still for awhile... Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dustyfro
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012 04:09:04 PM »

Wow, THANK YOU!  I think I can visualize that, but I may be back after I get down to it.  I didn't think about netting.  Good thing I have some in my stores.  I'm still a little worried about squashing it into my suitcase.  Is this just going to have to be a non-travelling costume?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drag Style Face Makeup
Eyes and Eyebrows in Drag Style
How to Makeup a Cat Nose
How to Do Cat Eyelashes Makeup
How to Do Cat Eyes in Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...