A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,914
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about in the round sweaters/jumpers with DK/8 PLY  (Read 448 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ludicrouslouisa
« on: June 18, 2012 06:37:47 PM »

Ok...after seeing the fantastic sweater/jumper knitted on this board by..erm..someone (it had words of a Dorothy Parker poem in it), I wanted to knit a fair isle sweater/jumper in the round, with dk wool. (The reason for DK is because I already have random bits of DK which I need to use up.) The thing is, almost every single pattern for sweaters/jumpers, in the round OR flat that I find is either worsted weight (10 ply) or sport weight (5 ply.) Is 8 ply really unpopular or something? Whyyyy.

Anyway, I found this pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dances-with-yellow-dk145 but the needle size sounds REALLY tiny for 8 ply. Like...3.25? Seriously? Every single 8 ply thing I've knitted has been at least 3.75 to 4.5. So...can I change the needle size? If I change the needle size to something that isn't so teeny weeny, should I go down several sizes so that I get the gauge right? I'm a pretty Ok knitter (lace shawls, cable jumpers etc), but I've never really gotten to the stage of fiddling massively with patterns or writing my own, so I've been trying to look for just a simple jumper/sweater pattern, in the round, with 8 ply. (Barely anything seems to be in 8 ply. I think it's popular in Australia, but not in America and most of the patterns seem to come from America.) Preferably not using tiny weeny needles. If you can tell me how I would change THIS pattern so that the gauge will still work with bigger needles that'd be great.

If not, I have a pattern, but it's flat knitted. I want to change it to in the round because the fair isle will be easier (i.e. I won't have to remember exactly how I knitted the front so that I can make the back match up at the side seams.) How do I change an in the flat pattern to be in the round? Do I just minus a couple of stitches and then knit the front and the back together in the round and then change to in the flat once I get to the armhole shaping?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012 08:47:59 PM »

That's not a normal needle size for dk weight, the designer may be a really loose knitter. Most people would get that gauge on size 6/4mm and you need to match the gauge not needle size. One of the projects used a light worsted (slightly heavier than some DKs) and used a 3.5 and 3.75mm. 

So do a sample (preferably in the fair isle pattern) and see what needles give you that gauge and stick with it. If you want to use a needle that makes a little looser gauge, work a smaller size of the pattern; divide your stitches per inch into the stitches just below the underarm and see which one is closest to the finished measurement you want.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Read the Photographic Histogram
How to Take Glamour Shots in High Key Setting
How to Create Bullet Time Effect
How to Debunk a Reptile Woman video
Nikon CLS Wireless Flash System Explained
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...