A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Retro Polka Dots: Why I Don't Love Lucy  (Read 1593 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LRShimer
Postcard From California

California Hiker, Plain Style, Arty-Romantic Sewer

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2012 10:40:57 AM »

(Just want the pattern info? See "*Bare Bones Sewing Basics" Below)

Iím a brand new convert when it comes to these retro-style spots, but I also knew there was some vaguely uncomfortable memory, that I associated them with. When I put on my new sleeveless tee, with itís draped neckline,  I really liked what I saw in the mirror. The wisps of what I disliked were the the shades of a far-from-favorite old television show, in those vibrant polka dots.

Though Iíve come to love that tee shirt, what I still donít love is the I Love Lucy television show, because Lucille Ball's portrayal of Lucy Ricardo was no role model for a budding, mid-twentieth century, feminist kid. In my modern-woman household, those polka dots represented some pretty old ideas of woman's place in our society. And they were ideas we were still fighting through in the sixties. In my mind, those old-style feminine behavior patterns were linked with images of the ubiquitous polka-dot dresses* that Lucy wore on the show.

Iím the first to admit there are things to admire about the television and movie comedienne whose career in film, television, stage and radio spanned a period of over forty years. No pawn for the film moguls, Lucille Ball was a hard-working woman, driven to succeed on her own terms. For those of you gals who werenít around in the fifties and sixties, I can tell you that wasnít an absolutely stellar time to stand up for yourself if you were born female.

Lucy made the most of her unusual looks. Instead of fitting into a standard style, she created her own. Her personal-style sense back then, is an example for us sewists who are always working to create fashions that make the most of what we were born with.

Besides that she was the first obviously pregnant woman on television. Before that, maternity was considered not very nice. Children were great, but the evidence of where they came from, and the affects of gestation on the body of a stylish woman, were something that weren't on display on the box.

My problem with the show is Lucy Ricardo's relationship with her husband. As a television star, Ms. Ball was in the role-model business, and the model of married womanhood that she represented was one that made irrational, dependent, subterfuge looked cute. Lucy, as the center point of the show, was always doing something silly because, apparently, she didnít have any wits. The show made it clear that husbands really adored a lack of brain in their women. Cute, huh?

Almost as cute as the fact that Lucy needed to wheedle money out of her man whenever she went beyond the financial parameters he laid out. Another great life lesson for the sixties-era female, particularly those like more than a few of the adult women in my extended family and town, who were married to somebody who were physically or emotional controlling.

Thereís also nothing cute about fooling your spouse to get what you want (instead of discussing important issues and finding ways to compromise on the priorities for a joint partnership) Pretty much every episode played up this amusing angle.

So what does Lucyís story leave me with?  

Just fashion.

The women I see around me these days have come far enough from the dependent, ditsy, second class role that we saw on the screen back then, that we can begin to have a little fun with Lucy's style.

Nowadays, when I think of Lucille Ball, I'm just going to see spots - polka dotted spots that is.

*Bare Bones Sewing Basics:
McCalls pattern, M6078. I fashioned view B, a sleeveless tee with stitched front pleats, neck drape and shaped sides. Material was a cotton interlock from Fabric.com.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

This historically inspired time traveling, California Romantic, is enchanted by sewing
http://MeEncantaCoser.blogspot.com/
Sewing Podcast iTunes Store - Search for "Enchanted By Sewing"
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012 03:06:40 PM »

What a great top, the shape really suits you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
enakitty
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012 06:09:58 PM »

Cute top, but what I really enjoyed was reading your thoughts on Lucille Ball's role in the t.v. classic "I Love Lucy".  I'm 37 and watched the show in reruns as a kid (and as an adult).  I remember at least one episode where Ricky bent Lucy over his knee and spanked her after she did something he found unsavory.  Even as a kid that episode gave me the creeps. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012 12:14:20 AM »

It is a great shirt, and I love polka dots. I don't know the show "I love Lucy", I guess it is an American thing. But, born in the late fifties, I remember the way women was portrayed in both film and literature. In some areas we have come a long way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marcymallow
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012 10:01:48 AM »

for starters: you're top is very cute.
and while i do think that you should have some valid points about how women were portrayed at that time. i don't think it's fair to just insult a housewife way of living. i know some stay at home mothers that are happy in their role, and some that would not be, but every realtionship is different and we should be accepting of that. on a different note, ditzy people should be able to find love too, not be considered stupid.
Don't get me wrong, i don't think an unbalanced relationship is a good idea, but i don't think that there is anything wrong with being just a little old-fashioned. just my opinion though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways To Wear Prabal Gurung For Target Printed Top
Carbon Copy: Get NYFW Street Style Looks For Less
Street Chic: Chelsea, London Style
Star Style: Who Inspires Solange Knowles
Dress Code Violations From The 2013 Grammys
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...