A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best Way to Up Readership? NOT Trying to Fake People into Checking The Blog  (Read 804 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LRShimer
Postcard From California

California Hiker, Plain Style, Arty-Romantic Sewer

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2012 10:18:25 AM »

Hello,

I'm not writing this post just to get people to read my blog as a result. Honest. And also I have tried searching on phrases in Crafster that I thought would find some answers. I'm not lighting on any ideas. 'Blog' is just kind of a common web-word, unfortunately.

Can you point me towards a forum, or any posts, where people have suggestions for increasing the number of readers for their sewing blogs? I recently started a newly focus sewing-only blog (I've been blogging with a more general blog for a couple of years). In the new blog, I'm writing historically inspired mini-stories relating to my sewing projects and of course, like everybody, I want to see people reading them. That's what keeps us blogging.

I do post my completed projects, in Crafster and  Pattern Review, where I have my blog linked to my profile. (And I like to comment about other people's posts as well). I also comment on posts at sewing sites, where I try to be light and humorous, and include my link. So far, that's not drawing people over. I will, of course, keep doing those things because that's what I enjoy. But I wonder if there are other obvious things to do that will help other sewers find me?

Thanks for any ideas.

Laurel Shimer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This historically inspired time traveling, California Romantic, is enchanted by sewing
http://MeEncantaCoser.blogspot.com/
Sewing Podcast iTunes Store - Search for "Enchanted By Sewing"
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012 12:04:45 PM »

Hmm, one potential issue.  I tried to access your blog via your signature and the link in your profile and they both reached:  Blog not found.  Is it possible you have a typo in your address?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
SewMantra
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012 01:52:37 PM »

Hi Laurel,

Do not disrepair, first and foremost. Every single blogger in the world goes through what you are experiencing at one point in their blogging life.

I guess, the best advice I can give you about getting more feedback on this subject, since I cannot get to your blog, is maybe for the purposes of asking for help on this forum, you could tell us a bit more about your blog and what you are writing about. I think you may get a few more responses that way. And also like the other poster, maybe check your link to make sure it's correct. If it is, is your blog visible to the public?

Also, I have been blogging for a long time, and as I do not know how long you have been doing this, I will tell you that new sites take time to build. It may seem like it happens overnight for some, but really, it's a long road of research, writing, rewriting, networking, and so on.

So, keep writing and visiting other sites, that is a great thing for you to do. However, content is what brings people to sites, useful content that is
1: short, because people have developed short attention spans because of all the information coming at them all the time,
2: is about your readership, so whooo them, and tell them how they can be "better" "richer" "cooler" or some version of that by reading what you have and
3: keep it easy to understand and to the point.

Other ideas for driving traffic are to:
1. feature artists on your blog (interview style)
2. join a professional artist's group or local league so you can continue to chat things up when you get stuck
3. become a guest blogger on another site which advertises your widget or button. You'll get referrals that way.
4. Post, Post, Post. This we forget to do sometimes.

As I have gone through what you have several times in my blogging life, I can tell you that each time it has been the same. I'd be happy to share more of my personal story with you and some of the obstacles I faced if you are interested, but since they may or may not be relevant to other readers on this thread, please send me a private message to discuss those.

Best of luck to you. Keep thinking positive and working on getting the word out everyday, it will grow.

Bon Chance!
Martiel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Martiel B.

Sewmantra
REUSE | RENEW | REINVENT
http://www.zibbet.com/sewmantra | http://sewmantra.blogspot.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012 10:44:19 AM »

I'm a bit confused by the name of your blog. "a STICHE in time"? It doesn't seem an effective name and when you look up variations of "stitch in time" there are simply millions - easy to get lost in the crowd. At this early in the game, I would go for a name change, and make it a unique one, but one that still makes sense.

FYI, when I looked up 'stiche' to see if it actually meant anything, urban dictionary came up first and the result wasn't very, um, nice.

If you want to find out how the successful sewing blogs get there, then copy them (not literally, but "do as they do"). Google them and see where they are popping up. If they're on facebook, get on facebook. Got an article on other blogs? Start submitting yours to others' blogs.

If you want stories to be your deal, incorporate actual historical facts in there to give yourself credibility. Do your research, don't fake it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shynii
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012 11:22:41 PM »

I believe your blog is actually A Stitche in Time? ( http://astitcheintime.blogspot.com/ ) which, in that case, the reason you are not getting any traffic from craftster is because of a typo! I'm sure as soon as you fix that, as well as following the great advice the other commenters have given, you should see a bump in traffic! For your blog itself, I would suggest more vibrant photography/imagery - right now it seems rather plain. You have images in the posts themselves, but you're missing out on an opportunity to grab a reader by not putting something super catchy and vibrant and sticky (hmn.. sticky? Like a fly trap!) in the header. Hope I've helped some  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dr. Who Swap - Success!
Interested in Personal Swaps

My Blog: http://castlelabyrinth.wordpress.com
My DeviantArt: http://shynii.deviantart.com
LRShimer
Postcard From California

California Hiker, Plain Style, Arty-Romantic Sewer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012 08:49:50 AM »

Thank you for all the input. It's good to have people lay it on the line. And how EMBARASSING that I had a typo in my url.

Sorry I posted this and then did not come back to reply thankfully as soon as I ought to have done so. I'm not going to do that apologetic thing about everything that happened in life, because I always think it's tedious when people do that.

So what I learned from your responsess:

1) The name is not as catchy as I thought. And stiche versus stitche can cause problems. So I need to think about that. Also I need to pick out a name I don't misspell when typing and triple check whenever I put my url in a profile!
2) My images need more oomph. I have been hesitating about posting some of what I"ve been writing because I'm not totally happy with the images I've been creating. In the blog I've been writing for a couple of years, which doesn't have a tight focus/theme, I've always gotten good response about my images. But, it's not a sewing blog. I need to focus on creating a new style of art work relating to my sewing hobby
3) Since I read other people's blogs, I need to  ask them if I can share an occasional item with them.  Maybe I should wait until I've gotten better with my images and have developed a very focused look and feel to this new blog. Also I should wait until I get my new blog name figured out.

4) SewMantra said " ...you could tell us a bit more about your blog and what you are writing about. " That sounds like I need to think more about the theme of the blog, other than "Historically inspired sewing stories". It sounds like I need to sit down with a buddy over tea (or at least virtual tea on Facebook) and brainstorm about the who/what/where/when/whys or at least start with my list of blog postings I'm currently planning to write and figure out backwards, what that means my theme is.

Thank you for all the thought provoking ideas, and also for responding even when I made that error in the url.

Laurel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This historically inspired time traveling, California Romantic, is enchanted by sewing
http://MeEncantaCoser.blogspot.com/
Sewing Podcast iTunes Store - Search for "Enchanted By Sewing"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint with Acrylic Paint Without Using Brushes
How to Paint on Hardboard or Wood with Acrylic Paint
How to Control Opacity and Brightness with Acrylic Paint
How to Paint a Mural With a Projector
How to Mix Acrylic Paint Colors
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...