A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need Help With An Idea [lightning in a bottle]  (Read 988 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

boq
« on: June 17, 2012 11:08:48 PM »

So, my girlfriend and I have been describing our relationship as "lightning in a bottle". So, I waned to somehow creatively create "lightning in a bottle" to give to her as a gift. I'm not quite sure what I should do. I just want to physicalize and symbolically make something to give to her.

If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know! Don't be shy! I know you're all talented!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012 06:08:18 PM by LimeRiot - Reason: edited to add a more descriptive title » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012 06:09:52 PM »

Hmm, I've seen a lot of neat projects using LED lights. I've done one myself and it was actually pretty easy with some help from the guys at Radio shack. You could create some kind of light in a bottle that way.

Or what about something really bright or spicy in a bottle - like a mango hot sauce Smiley. Kind of a different interpretation but could be fun to make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Yizzimindi
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012 07:19:33 PM »

You could make a mask around the outside of paper or paint and cut or scratch a lightning shape out. Stick a flickering real or fake tealight inside and you have a lightning bottle!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012 03:20:43 PM »

Well I would guess that you need to catch some lightning and put it in a bottle.

Here's how you can do that:

Get a big long heavy gauge wire and two conductive rods and a couple bags of sand. One rod goes at the top of a tree, wire goes down to the other rod in the sand (dig a hole and put the sand in it).
   Wait for a lightning storm and hope it gets hit, once it does dig it up clean it off, and you're done. You can vary coloration with things like cobolt, copper, iron, and any other conductive material before it gets hit by lightning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
Yizzimindi
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012 09:43:55 AM »

If you try Blacksmith's idea don't do it during a storm or if a storm looks like its approaching. You don't want to be holding a rod with lightning going through it. The heat turns the sand into a molten lump. It will be incredibly hot. Leave it overnight to cool down. This is not a good idea if you have backyard pets. Don't let anyone get near it during a storm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012 02:17:34 PM »

Side note if you do my idea:

BOOM! I would have thought that the danger of doing so while there is lightning going on would be obvious. If you decide to do this I'd love to see your results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
zunebuggy
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012 01:15:06 PM »

Easy...

Go on eBay and search for Fulgurite or Lightning Glass.  A lot of it comes from tall sand dunes in Michigan.  Lightning hits the dunes and turns the sand into glass and it is really cool looking (although fragile).  Buy a piece and put it in a nice looking jar (old canning jar would be nice) and there you have it.

The only other solution would to build a mini-Faraday experiment in a bottle (which is basically those things you find in Spenser's gifts that are globes with lightning inside.  I have no idea how you would make your own inside a jar, but it is high voltage, low amps.  You MIGHT be able to buy the globe, take the insides out and put it in a jar (although those globes might have a vacuum and your jar would not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zunebuggy
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012 01:37:38 PM »

Same thing above applies with bottle instead of a jar.  I was thinking jar instead of bottle but lot of nice bottle around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Interview with Michael Yapko
Julia DeVillers Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Amy Reed Talks About Beautiful
Inventory Book Trailer
Promises Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...