A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
789 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sundresses in the city (4 dresses!)  (Read 4773 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miss American Pie
« on: June 16, 2012 07:53:36 PM »

It gets horribly humid here in the summer, so I made some sundresses so I can still look cute, even when my hair gets frizzy and my face gets sweaty... haha, ew.

This one is my favorite! I made it out of a bedsheet. Must have been a decent bedsheet too, because it doesn't seem to wrinkle much, even when I'm really sweaty (gross, I know, sorry). It has a zipper in the back and it kind scoops down in a sexy way, but I can't get a good pic of the back for the life of me...

I made this pink one out of an old shirt-dress my grandma gave me to "make something with." She said she bought it decades ago and never wore it because it fit her weird. I remade the entire top part (before it was a v neck blouse thing with sleeves). I kept the skirt part-- but I cut off the top part of it and gathered it to make it poufy. And I kept the button placket, but I added a few extra holes on the top part. I also added pockets! And I made covered buttons instead of the metallic ones on the original.

This green one is just an 80's-ish dress I bought at a thrift store. It was ankle-length, so I just cropped the hem to my knees and used the extra material to add the pockets!

I made this white one out of fabric that's been in my stash forever. It's white with a small white floral pattern. For the lining, I cut up an old white nightgown-ish thing I grabbed when my aunt was getting rid of some old clothes. It was too thin to make a garment with, but it makes a perfect lining. I used it for the pockets too. The back of the dress is shirred so I didn't need a zipper. And the straps cross in the back.

And here's the wine pic!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012 07:56:44 PM by Miss American Pie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012 08:13:49 PM »

Sweet! Those are some c-u-t-e dresses. I can't pick a favorite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LoveNTheOcean
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012 08:52:13 PM »

I've always wanted to reconstruct a thrifted dress, I just can never find the right one. I'm not good at looking at something ugly and making it beautiful.
I wish I had that talent like you!

Dresses are so amazing, especially on you!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noelle
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012 09:28:14 PM »

ooh, nice detailing on the blue dress bust! very flattering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Naantje
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012 02:16:15 AM »

Oh wow, they are all beautiful! I can't decide wich one I like best, the bed sheet one, the pink floral one or the white one. They all look really good on you - so does the green one, but the rest is even nicer. I think the pink floral one will win, because of it's history as something from your grandmother. I love it when clothes have a story!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Schneewittchen
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012 08:19:57 AM »

ooh i love them all! I think I like the floral one best, though it's really hard to decide!
I also just remade an old dress from my mother to a sundress (gonna post it soon).
But i still wanna make more! you can never have enough sundresses!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucy32
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012 01:53:00 PM »

This is too cute! I'd love a tutorial  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kalan71
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012 12:33:24 PM »

I love them all, you're a very clever girl, did you use a pattern ?
I can't decide which one I like best , but they all fit you so well!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012 07:20:14 PM »

Great dress wardrobe, they look great! Inspiring how they all started differently but look like a mini-fashion line with similar elements.

LOVING the red/pink floral one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
CouchCrafting
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012 02:10:48 PM »

These are amazing!! I've been getting the urge to re-make something into a sundress recently, although the lack of sun in this irish summer may mean I never get to wear it.. Anyways, these have gotten me all inspired, thanks a million for the post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Biggest Makeup Mistakes Women Over 40 Make
How to Fake a Facelift with Makeup
How to Look Years Younger with Thermage
How To Pick The Perfect Perfume
Top 5 Bad Beauty Habits to Break
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...