A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need some help, it's an issue with my flyer, or leader or something  (Read 973 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

breabadair
« on: June 13, 2012 11:18:20 PM »

Hello! So I have an oldschool (1975 ish) Ashford Traditional. I used the maintenance kit on it and can spin. The only problem is the whole that the yarn goes through opens on the bottom of the flyer (not the side the hooks are on). I apologize for being so super technical (not) in this post. I'm not quite 100% on terminology. So I'd rather just describe and post pictures of what I'm talking about.

Every other flyer that I've seen online seems to have the hole in line with the hooks. So I'm wondering if this will effect the way my yarn is or the whee's ability to function proper? I've only used it once and in all honesty the hole for the yarn to go through is placed so low that I can't get the leader through with the hook the maintenance kit came with. So, I'd really like some information on what I can do, if anything, or if this is nothing to be concerned about and to just keep spinning.

Here are two picture to hopefully help. I used flash only so you can see the hole and its strange placement.

Thanks again, everyone Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012 07:50:06 AM »

that's a really strange predicament.  I take it you've tried to turn it?  It's not somehow loose?
I suppose if you put hooks on the other side, I've got set's of hooks on each arm of the flyer, on opposite sides.  That would help to solve your problem there, but it's weird that the hole isn't all the way through, and only sticking out half way.  Can it be pushed back?  I hesitate to say take a hammer to the front of it, but it's something I'd do... maybe.... Okay.. Don't do that.  Maybe someone with more knowlege of construction can tell you how to go about fixing that problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

breabadair
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012 07:26:48 PM »

I know, it's very strange. But it's really stuck. I've tried turning it, twisting it. But it doesn't move. I actually considered asking my dad to make a hole for me in the correct space. (He works on cars, so he could manage it) But, I just wanted to know if anyone could help me with it before I had him do that. Thanks for responding though. I'll admit, I'm too afraid of breaking it to take a hammer to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012 09:53:24 PM »

Looks like someone put the hooks on the wrong side of the flyer arm.

I'd either make a new orifice hook (a bit of stiff wire works well) or place the hooks on the correct side (drill pilot holes first)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
breabadair
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012 10:00:34 PM »

Thanks for the advice everyone! I showed it to my dad, and mentioned hitting it with a hammer. He took the flyer (I believe) off the wheel, gave it a twist and the orifice hole turned to the right side. Then he took it and whacked it with the palm of his hand and it made a pop sound and the orifice was now completely visible. So, I'm not sure what happened prior to my owning it, but things got twisted around. I'm really glad my dad was able to help me, and that he is stronger than I am. Because I tried that same thing and it didn't budge.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012 10:01:07 PM by breabadair » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012 07:58:03 AM »

yay!  so glad Dad was able to fix it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012 11:30:43 AM »

Thanks for the advice everyone! I showed it to my dad, and mentioned hitting it with a hammer. He took the flyer (I believe) off the wheel, gave it a twist and the orifice hole turned to the right side. Then he took it and whacked it with the palm of his hand and it made a pop sound and the orifice was now completely visible. So, I'm not sure what happened prior to my owning it, but things got twisted around. I'm really glad my dad was able to help me, and that he is stronger than I am. Because I tried that same thing and it didn't budge.

Hurray for man-hands! Saving the world one pickle jar at a time Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Trends: Sleek Ponytails
Brigitte Bardot Hair Tutorial
Bob Hair Trend At 2013 Emmys
Hair Loss In Women, A Growing Problem
Going Brunette: What to Know Before Embracing the Dark Side
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...