A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best glue to use to adhere a cast resin piece to metal?  (Read 768 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

esquared221
« on: July 28, 2012 09:12:02 AM »

I searched through the resin question thread and couldnt find anything about this so:

I got sick of not being able to find the kind of barrettes I wanted in stores for my daughter and decided to make them instead! I have worked through trial and error to come up with some pretty pieces with Easy Cast clear casting epoxy but havent found the right glue to get those pretty babies on my barrettes! Hot glue cant stand up to the bending on alligator clips, neither can the metal jewelry glue I have. Im trying E6000 right now but am worried I'll end up with the same result (resin cast bauble detaches off in my hand when I bend open the clip). Advice?  Huh

Any barrette makers (NOT WITH RIBBONS) out there that whose brains I can pick?Huh??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012 01:55:40 PM »

Have you tried just mixing up more of the resin and using that as a glue?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012 10:11:30 AM »

You could use more resin (although perhaps a stronger one than Easy Cast "tweaked" epoxy resin), and perhaps even create a mechanical hold of the resin *in/around* the slots/etc of the barrette finding instead of just an adhesive hold. 
Or use a 2-part epoxy glue (often in twin plunger tubes) which is basically thick epoxy resin (the longer the setting time on an epoxy glue, the stronger it will generally be--so perhaps Devcon's 2 Ton 30-min setting one).
You might be able to use a permanent white glue meant for attaching metal to fabric (Jewel It, GemTac) if you weren't already using those.  They will be slightly flexible (but strong) permanent white glues so may tolerate the flex of the finding, and again any time you can make the glue "go around" something the mechanical hold is good.

You might also try a completely mechanical hold by drilling a hole through part of the resin piece, or glueing on some tiny metal tubes or a bail or two, then running fine jewelry wire through those and in/around the barrette finding.

Or you could try using a piece of fabric, or something else thin that's almost as large as your resin piece, on the back side of the open barrette finding... then use one of the glues to hold that to the rein since you'll have a larger surface to glue it to.

By "alligator clips" do you mean the ones that are hinged at one end (not much stress there), or the kind of long triangular ones that snap and flex to close, or regular barrette findings?
alligator type hair clips:
https://www.google.com/imagegs?q=alligator+clips+hair
snap clips:
https://www.google.com/images?q=snap+hair+clip
regular barrette findings (can be short or long)...3 pieces if taken all the way apart
http://zibbet-production.s3.amazonaws.com/images/230/1154853-original.jpg

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012 10:25:26 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...