A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
373 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pattern modification?  (Read 725 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2012 07:32:33 AM »

I have a lovely yoked sweater which I want to remake, but modified. the one I have is shaped and has darts and shaping for a lady waist and breasticle area.... I was wondering if, with these removed therefore making it a straight sweater, the shape would look ok on a man?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012 10:41:46 AM »

On a man, the widest part of the torso tends to be the chest, whereas on women, it tends to be the hips. You'll have to study the measurements and instructions carefully, because your approach will be different depending on if the pattern is written from the top or the bottom.

If it's from the top, select the size that gives a "to fit a ___ inch" chest measurement that matches his biggest measurement, even if that's his tummy. That way, you know the sweater will be wide enough to fit his biggest bits. For example, if his biggest bits are 42 inches around, select the size that is intended for a person with a 42 inch chest.

From the bottom is a little more complicated because of the shaping. The hem (as written) will likely be slightly wider than the chest to accommodate female anatomy. If you're lucky, it may be exactly the same as the chest, in which case, choose your size as above. Otherwise, if the hips are wider than the chest, you'll have to study the instructions carefully to determine where the widest part of the chest is for the size you need and cast on that many stitches at the hem.

Your quest is achievable, you'll just need to make a lot of notes to yourself to stay on track. Best of luck with your sweater!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012 02:16:34 AM »

thanks!!!

the gentleman in my life wants a fairaisle style sweater, but with the "fornicating deer" design along the yoke lol. It's gonna need some maths....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012 05:30:31 PM »

BUAHAHA! I LOVE the fornicating deer! I haven't ventured into fair isle yet, but those naughty cervids are one reason to try it Cheesy

Best of luck on your awesome sweater!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Love Graffiti
How to Draw Chibi Faces
How to Draw Skulls
How to Draw a Basic Manga Mouth
How to Do the Graffiti Letter D
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...