A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
843 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best and or cheapest place to buy needle felting supplies?  (Read 2650 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissAshley1
« on: June 08, 2012 10:31:01 PM »

I want to add needle felting sculptress to my repertoire of crafty endeavors... so where do I get the best deal on wools/needles and any book recommendations for techniques, ect? Thanks, Ashley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissAshley1
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012 10:32:02 PM »

oops wrong board... mods please move! Thanks, Ashley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

"this kid is driving me craaaazy!"-Robert Munchs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012 07:14:37 AM »

oops wrong board... mods please move! Thanks, Ashley

And done!  you're welcome!

As to your original question, I found my first set of needle felting supplies on Ebay.  I got 10 of each 36, 38 and 40 guage needles a foamy and a small selection of random colored wool for something like 20$ (including shipping even)  And I think that's pretty cheap.  I no longer know who the seller was, but  a quick search will turn something up, if you go that way.
As to techniques, there's a good list of tutorials here on Craftster.  I also bought a book called Feltique, it has more then just needle felt in it though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012 11:58:14 AM »

http://peacefleece.com/ Go to 'Retail Catalog' for links to felting supplies and felting kits

Peace Fleece has the cheapest needles I've found, 25 cents each (US). They only carry 36 guage however...but it's an inexpensive way to start needle felting as it seems most people tend to break needles fairly often as a beginner. Peace Fleece also carries foam felting pads. The 11x12.5x1in pad is only $2 and the 3x12x1in pad is 25 cents!! They also carry bags of mixed fiber (carded wool, pencil roving, various colors) that seem to be well priced.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harlan

Author of "Needle Felting - to the Point"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012 04:47:23 AM »

Check Yahoo groups for fiber groups - sometimes they are people who own just a few sheep or are just willing to sell fiber for less than you might find it elsewhere. Sometimes you will have to wash the wool, but that isn't that difficult. I get most of my fiber from Mielke's - they have a great selection and their quality is always excellent. They do have sampler packs of fiber, but they aren't "cheap" - you get a lot of fiber in those samplers.

I used to buy my needles on eBay and was always looking for the best bargain. That makes sense when you're first learning needle felting, but there is a big difference in the quality of needles available. A good needle has the barbs positioned closer to the tip and the first barb is 1/8th of an inch from the tip. I have been trying to grab the link to where I get my needles, but the internet is being slow. #38stars are probably the most useful of needles. I use #38 stars and #42s more than my other needles.

Foam pads can vary in quality too and they really are not the best work surface for needle felting, but they certainly are the most commonly used. Covering the pad with some flannel can be helpful. The flannel will need to be replaced from time to time and it can help cut down on the foam pad grabbing fiber when it's poked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're unique! Just like everyone else!!
Prittens and other needle felted creatures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prittens/
CraftArtEDU - exception classes from exceptional instructors
Intimate Forest - my oil paintings
http://www.intimateforest.com
http://www.craftedu.com
MissAshley1
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012 12:30:28 PM »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I let you all know what I end up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sherry Lansing: When a Movie Fails
Sherry Lansing: Pioneer Studio Executive & Philanthropist
Sherry Lansing: True Love at 47
Sherry Lansing: The Choice to Work and Be Single
Sherry Lansing: Worthy of More
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...