A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bernette 715  (Read 2595 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SuzyScissor
« on: June 17, 2012 04:50:39 AM »

Brand: Bernette

Model: 715

Year: ? (Old!)

Cost: Free to Me (Inherited from my mom.)

How long have you had the machine? 4 years (but just started to "really" use it)

Is it a basic sewing machine, serger, or embroidery machine? Basic Sewing Machine

What are your favorite features? Easy to use, and portable.  I can set it up on the kitchen table and move it out of the way when needed.  It's light enough that it's not a  problem, but takes most of the abuse I throw at it (especially since I'm still learning and am give it a bit of abuse with some trial and error).

What are some of the unique features it has? Just a basic sewing machine.  Here's the manual: http://homeappliance.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/bernina/715.html?idRes=11630398

How well does it run? Just fine when I have it set up correctly.  99% of the time when it goes wonky I find I just need to re-thread. 

Has it ever broken or needed maintenance you couldn't do yourself? Nope, I had a problem with everything going wrong (bunched thread, broken upper thread, broken bottom thread, material getting stuck in the feed dogs, etc.)  Turned out it wasn't a problem with the machine at all, but the arm had broken off the bobbin case.  I'm a fairly novice sewer and didn't realize it at first. To be fair the bobbin case was probably the original and I don't always take good care of my things.  So I started from the top and worked my way down to try and find the problem, cleaning/adjusting everything I could.  It was fairly intuitive, especially since I'm still learning, nothing fancy or complicated to have to figure out.  By the time I realized the bobbin case needed replacing I had given it a good cleaning and it runs super smooth now.   

What are your least favorite features? I'm still learning so it has all the basic features I need, but if I were more advanced I might want something fancier-like decorative stitches.  For now it's a great little work horse.

Would you recommend this machine to a friend? Sure, it really is a sturdy machine. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Thousand-Layer Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
How to Make Key Lime Sugar Cookies
How to Make Dazzling Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
Hummingbird Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
How to Make Crunchy and Sweet Honey-Hazelnut Treats
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...