A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cross stich help?  (Read 593 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2012 07:42:33 PM »

So I dont do cross stich but my boss had a very cool duck one that was half done. She gave it to me.... I want to finish it for my grandma for Christmas. So I have a color guide and  stich count. Whats the stich count mean? Also what does 1 stand and two stands mean? My kit came with all the thread stuff and a needle so im set there. Is there anything special I should know before I start?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012 11:08:17 PM »

I'm not really sure what you are talking about regarding stitch count.  Can you take a picture or describe it more?   Is this a counted cross stitch kit or does the fabric you are stitching on have a printed pattern on it?

Usually counted cross stitch paperwork comes with the color list, a picture grid with icons that stand for each color, and some instructions.  I can't remember what the stamped ones come with off the top of my head.

As for strands:
Each piece of embroidery floss is made up of 6 strands.  You do have to separate the strands out so you can stitch with them. 
http://www.needlenthread.com/Images/Miscellaneous/Threads/Twisted_Silk/Twisted_Silks_05.jpg  Check out that picture to see what I mean.  (Not my photo)

My favorite way to separate strands is to hold the thread about an inch or so from one end in my off (left) hand (I am right handed), and sort of poke the tip of it with my right hand.  It will fluff out as shown in that picture.  I keep holding the bulk of the thread in my left hand, and pick one strand in my right hand.  Now I slide my left hand down with the remaining strands while pulling straight out with my right hand on that one strand.

I find that is the easiest way and helps avoid unwanted knots too. 

When it calls for one strand, just stitch with one strand.  When it calls for two strands separate out two and thread your needle with both.  Generally the one stranded stuff is for the little fiddly details. 

Do you have a hoop to work your stitching on?  Those help keep your stitching even, and prevent wrinkles in the middle of your work. 

Subversive Cross Stitch has a very good How To write up if you wish to check it out too.  Smiley  http://subversive.myshopify.com/pages/how-to

Best of luck, it sounds like a neat piece!  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
rhaben
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012 11:31:10 AM »

The stitch count is simply the number of stitches in that particular color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
"Hair With Hollie": How to Create Big Cheryl Cole-Inspired Hair
How to Get a Straight-Off-the-Runway Hairstyle in 30 Seconds
Do You Shampoo Too Often?
Celebrity Hair Style: The Lob Trend
Product Round Up: Top Brushes For Volume & Teasing
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...