A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where to start???!!  (Read 806 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissBeads
« on: June 07, 2012 07:00:59 PM »

Huh
Hi there, I would really like to start making all kinds of Jewelry and crafts but have np clue where to start. Any help as to what type of Jewelry I should start with or links to beginners jewelry tuts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks In Advance
Brooke
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dgigout
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012 07:27:13 AM »

http://www.firemountaingems.com/beading_howtos/default.asp
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pixi352002
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012 09:30:25 AM »

begin to search what you like, try to distinguish the materials, search in youtube for procedures and tutorials of your favorites, there you will find your way trough new ideas and materials! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Char79
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012 04:06:09 PM »

Brooke, there is a wonderful jewelry forum on the net called Jewelry Making Forum with wonderful and very helpful members and my suggestion would be to go there, register, and just post where to start making jewelry and you will have many helpful ideas, suggestions, etc.
Charlotte
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BelleBeryl
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012 02:45:56 AM »

the site www.fusionbeads.com/ has lots of tutorials on making jewelry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pheeliques
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012 07:15:42 PM »

i was wondering what kind of jewelry you would like to make.  do you want to make some earrings with semiprecious gemstone beads?  or a pendant of soldered or cold-connected metal like copper or silver?  or a bracelet of found materials like plastic doll parts, bottle caps, and cutouts from cookie tins?  or how about some chain mail jewelry out of various colors of aluminum jump rings?  there is a whole, big vast world of jewelry out there.

if you don't already have something in mind, here is what i would recommend: start out by going to your local library and browsing the jewelry section, both the history and the craft sections.  you can spend quite a bit of time looking at all of the different books, and at some point something will jump out at you, and you will know: "i want to make this!" 

check out some of the more interesting-looking books, and take them home.  a lot of the books will probably have long lists of tools and equipment you need to get, but try to start out choosing a project that you can make by improvising mostly with tools you have on hand.  as for materials, you can find lots of materials to start out with at michaels or hobby lobby, and supplement with supplies like chain and/or findings on etsy and elsewhere.

it's okay to copy stuff out of books to begin with, but when you start getting your own ideas, don't hesitate to try making things from your imagination.  and make sure you try to wear something you make every day--next thing you know your friends will be begging you to make something for them.  it's amazing what you can trade for pizza.  :-)

especially make the stuff that you think is so way out there that no one else could possibly be interested.  _that_ is going to be the really interesting jewelry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012 04:58:51 AM »

See above: do some reading and decide what you want to make, then you will know what questions to ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Film History Biography of Ray Harryhausen
Film History Biography of Ron Mann
Film History Biography of Sam Raimi
Pre-Production Paperwork Part 2/2
Pre-Production Paperwork Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...