A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Selling My Prom (Art?) Dresses  (Read 1804 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DuctTapeRockStar
Maowzers.

Maowzers.

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2012 06:55:44 PM »

Okay! So I'm 18. I'm going to college in the fall and working a full-time, minimum wage job just isn't going to cover what scholarships and loans isn't (and my parents aren't pitching in). So my last ditch effort to get money is to sell my three one-of-a-kind prom dresses, in hopes they will help me out some.
I have made (okay, the first two with the help of my Mother and an Aunt) a prom dress out of Doritos bags, one out of Pop tabs and one out of Cardboard. So you might have heard of me on here. Also, just Google "Doritos Prom Dress", "Pop Tab Prom Dress", "Cardboard Prom Dress" or "Maura Pozek" and there's news stories and blog posts and everything else (Mainly about the Cardboard one...That got me all the attention in the world including a Huffington Post article, an NPR interview and a ton of radio interviews around the country).
So...Broke, soon-to-be-college-student Maura needs money, and everyone has told me I could make bank if I ever sold my dresses. Some may remember last year when Ripley's Believe It Or Not wanted to buy two of my dresses, but they offered too little ($450 for both, and they wouldn't budge), so I turned them down, and they haven't knocked on my door since.
I don't know what forum would be the best of which to sell my dresses? (Etsy or Ebay seem the most practical?) How would I price my dresses? All those other questions...
All three of my dresses have been worn exactly twice, once for Prom night, and once for an interview. I didn't sweat or anything in them, they didn't get ripped or stained (actually the Pop Tab one has some bbq sauce on a spot, but won't that come out?)...Basically they're in great condition!

Thanks in advance for any help! And here are pictures of each dress.

Cardboard (Senior Year)

Pop Tabs (Junior Year)

Doritos Bags (Sophomore Year)

Again, THANK YOU!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Greatness is more than potential. It is the execution of that potential. Beyond the raw talent. You need the appropriate training. You need the discipline. You need the inspiration. You need the drive."

~ Eric A. Burns
AlphaBrett

Crochet 'til my fingers fall off

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012 03:35:26 AM »

Ebay takes a good portion of your money and if you put a buy it now price they take even more! Etsy is only 25 cents to list, and they take barely anything. I would go with etsy and tweet about it and the likes to get it noticed (not that they won't get it on their own). Ebay and amazon are going to take a ton of your profit, especially if the items are above a hundred.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittens tangle your yarn, men tangle your wits, and it's simple as breathing for both. -Lini (WoT)

Personal Swap Friendly

Blogger Goodness preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.thealphabrett.blogspot.com')
New! Kitchen blog preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.alphabrett.blogspot.com')
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012 04:23:16 AM »

For the pricing you'll have to compare these to other art dresses out there. On etsy, a mere 3 dresses, no matter how cool, will sit there forever without an updated round of press or promotion. Let's face it, fame is fleeting, and you've had yours already. You'll need another round to get those sold. You could send out a press release to all the folks who promoted you in the first place and see if anything pops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012 08:04:49 AM »

Yea I was thinking that, too. No matter where you sell, try to get those news outlets who wrote/spoke about you before to do it again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lvb56003
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012 03:08:42 AM »

Have you sold any of your dresses yet?  If not is it possible to take a close pic of the pop tab?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012 12:12:37 PM »

lvb, you can see more details of the dress here: www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=378509.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kchynoweth
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012 05:20:50 PM »

I've got some, possibly controversial, advice. Don't go to college. You seem like a really creative and smart person and your time would be better spent cultivating your talent to make it profitable. Take seamstress clinics with designers, try to intern at a fadhion house, or work full time to save money and open your own business. I can't tell you how many people I know -smart people who did great in college - who have jobs they could have done without a degree. Most of those I know with jobs related to their field owe so much debt that they would been better off having gotten a job straight out of college and moved up the ladder that way. My husband an I have multiple degrees and he eventually had to go back and get another degree to finally land a job. We are 32. We both graduated with honors and had good jobs until the economy tanked. Save your time and money. Get a library card, travel through Europe taking odd jobs at hotels as you go (have friends who did that!) you'll learn much more than you will in the modern crap hole we call the university system.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Chestnut Stuffing at Home
How to Prepare the Perfect Bread Stuffing at Home
How to Do a Delicious Turkey Gravy
How to Prepare Ham Boiled in Cider Roasted with Cloves and Honey
How to Mix Halloween Pumpkin Punch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...