A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Polka dot pants, beads & ribbon top, curtain apron  (Read 13409 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GraceOblivious
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2005 04:12:06 PM »

Well here goes..... first time trying photos here ..... plus rather intimidating seeing all the wonderful work entered thus far, but what the hay, was inspired in some way by every entry so far so will share what I've done too.

My inspiration for the work done in this challenge was just to stretch my talents and go beyond my usual work.  I sew much, but do little altering or recon of items into clothing.  Also it had to be something actually useable and fit my lifestyle.

Had just finished a spree buying 70% off clothing at local thrift shop when Leah posted the recon challenge.  Mostly got wool sweaters to shrink and make accessories, but had not been able to resist a couple of silk (REAL SILK- OH YES!) tops.  At  size 2X , a little big for me.  

My original plan was just to take a tuck in the back at the neck and wear sloppy.....  well surely that was not quite enough to truly qualify for the recon challenge, so my plans got better and grander.  First did nicer more complete alterations to make the neck smaller and the shoulders more narrow- a much better fit.  Then designer details entered the plan and here is the result

Well that was the top, it compliments a thrift shop skirt purchased last year...... but that needed no changes....  so made a quick stop at Good Will - did not find much to go with the blouse--  searched clothing, linens, draperies-  several drapes where great colors but the rubberized backing put me off.....  just not in my nature to wear rubber skirts- as an older female that is just toooooo hot. and of course if I was going to spend time creating something, it had to be useable.  

OK..... there were a couple of curtain panels and a valence with a pretty flower border.   Still a bit youthful for me, but at least not rubber.  Maybe they would do.

Oh Yikes!!  not enough for a gypsy skirt, and no fabrics in my stash looked right with the curtain.  But oh la la - there in the stash was some polka dot vintage cotton,  circa 1960 maybe - it had matriculated into my stash when a nonagenarian friend died a few years back.  Well not truly within the guidelines, but would be a great base for the flowers from the curtain.  Maybe that would squeak by.  So took the flower border from one curtain panel and used that as an applique.  The new things for me here were thread painting the applique and even doing applique on pants- especially on polka dot pants.  Yes this challenge did make me stretch.  Pretty tame for lots of you, but for me quite adventuresome.  LOL

Well, like the outfit.  But what could be done to make my entry more acceptable within the challenge guidelines.  Ah, a teenage friend saves the day, she suggests an apron out of the rest of the curtain.  Wah Hoo!  Running with needle in hand now.  So used the valence and last curtain panel for a frilly feminine cover-up -  here I am ready to entertain in style.

Move over Colwin Colve (sp?)  

Costs:
Silk blouse- $0.90
2 Curtain panels - $1.99
1 valence - $1.99

from stash & scraps
Vintage cotton fabric
silk ribbon (about 10 years old)
lace (also about 10 years old)
beads on binding (about 3 years old)

Hope you all enjoy the story and the work, it was fun to participate.

edited twice - but think I've finally got it all
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 05:20:51 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005 04:20:02 PM »

COOL.
how old are you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VaxGirl
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005 05:06:59 PM »

The top is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005 05:30:17 PM »

Love it! Great idea to do the applique on the polka dots! And unexpected combo that turned out lovely. The ribbon on the front looks great too. Silk shirt for 99 cents! I love thrifting.

And the apron is just too cute. If you have any of the polka dots left, perhaps a pocket or two on the apron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005 06:46:25 PM »

hehe. i was just curious Cheesy there are so many different people on these boards! i love it!
i LOVE your stuff btw!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grannystylee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005 09:42:21 PM »

I love the apron, and how it coordinates with the pants.  I'm an apron person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hakue
Creative Chaos

You can't put that on a steak and eat it!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005 07:13:23 AM »

I agree, it was a great idea using the flowers as an applique.  It really looks good with the polka dots, although if you had told me about the plan before I wouldn't have thought so.  The apron is really pretty too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art."
Tom Stoppard  

Horrah for quotes! Cheesy
LiquidScissors
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Who would of known

Hank's a bomb. Long story.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005 12:57:50 PM »

I would wear those pants, they are awesome, plus polka dots rule! 

I love the stuff you made!  Its cool to see all the different kinds of people that are inspired by craftster and these challenges!!!  yay!

-Liquid
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Is it because you killed a whole bunch of ninjas while it was playing? So now it reminds you of ninjas?"
giggles1100

They call me Martha......

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005 01:52:10 PM »

Great job!  I love the froo Froo Apron and the shirt.  Very nicely done, I am more like you and am to large to go way out or too hesitant to do it!  Love IT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Giggles To all!
Heather
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005 06:28:39 PM »

well I'd say your stretched imagination worked out fabulous! I love how the whole outfit looks together! Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 15/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 6/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 16/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 13/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 1/16
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...