A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Many pairs of jeans > messenger bag PIC HEAVY  (Read 4005 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigergirl
« on: June 06, 2012 05:03:51 PM »

Tigerboy requested a 'signature' bag for travelling but he wanted it made out of jeans, he's always liked the bag I made myself from jeans years ago (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=75404.msg707624#msg707624) and wanted his own, with certain specifications. Eventually, we came up with a loose design but it was changed along the way.

Under the flap is a gusseted mobile phone carrier (closes with velcro, which unexpectedly didn't give me problems to sew on) , pen pocket and of course the straps that are extendable for when he wants to shove a jacket through there. I used jeans hems to keep the straps up - I detest hanging straps. The original jeans pockets and zipper still work, so basically that zipper is the entrance to the secret compartment between the lining and the outer shell (so very Get Smart). I took the black snap attachments off an old backpack of mine that had a disintegrating lining - my packrat tendencies actually paid off.

The back has of course the original pockets but it is also a full depth, full width pocket itself (apparently there is a need for a compartment that can hold A4 documents - when you're backpacking?). I added a gusseted zipper pocket to the strap for mp3 player, loose change etc. I also made the padded bit (no idea what it is called) from that same old back pack's straps. The strap is actually luggage webbing covered in denim and goes right down the sides between the lining and the outer, into the bottom of the bag where it is also secured - the rest of the bag will come apart before that strap gives way.

Snap securing the document pocket - he had a choice of fastenings, this was what he wanted. There's some dodgy stitching there, you would not believe the nightmare I had putting in the 'lid' of the bag. Initially the plan was to only have the lid attached to the lining but I was concerned that it wouldn't be strong enough. I'll have a rant later about some of the obstacles in the making of this bag. The back document pocket also has a zipper compartment in it. I'd never done this type of zipper before and used the instructions (http://www.ikatbag.com/2010/12/pockets-xx-zippered-welt-pocket.html) at ikat bag.

This is the shoulder strap padding from that same old back pack's straps - cut it to the right size and shape, sandwiched it between three pieces of denim (an extra piece so that it slides along the strap and is adjustable) and then bound the edges with more denim.

I added an extra bottom to the bag. The butt on these jeans had had some wear and it didn't seem like a good idea to start off with a worn out bottom. I left one side open to be closed with velcro and donated an old flexible chopping board to be the removable insert for the bottom (it was nearly 10 years old - time for the kitchen to get some new ones and retire the old ones anyway).

Inside the bag:
Since this picture was taken I have tacked down the lining in all of the seams, here it was still all loose which is why it's flopping all over the place. On the left edge of the pic you can just barely see a D-ring - it's attached to a tab sewn in to the top between the lining and the outer. I put in some elasticised water bottle carriers on the left of the pic too. More pockets! This is basically a big pocket that's nearly the height of the bag and is the full width, divided into two - the larger one is secured with a snap. On the outside of that is the pocket with the zipper, the other side has a pocket that contains yet another little pocket the D-ring on the tab from above sits in. Below are pics that might explain that mess better.

The only things I had to buy for this project were the macaw lining fabric and the luggage strap - everything else was on hand. All of the other lining fabric for secret pockets and under the flap came from leftovers. There's some of the lining of my girlfriend's dress lining the lid, left overs from making a summer bathrobe for an ex-boyfriend line one of the secret zippered pockets and other random scraps used here and there. I used at least three pairs of jeans for this project, I'm pretty sure it was more but I'm not sure. With all of that denim, webbing and metal, this bag is heavy - I think it was nearly 1kg! And that's before anything is put in it. Another reason for doing away with any batting, aside from weight, is that this is for travelling, so it needs to be as 'compactable' as possible.

The blog post for this is here > http://tigergirladventures.blogspot.com/2012/06/palin-bag-is-finished-at-last.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frogprincess
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012 07:07:14 PM »

this is amazing....i recently destroyed one of my fav pairs of jeans.....looks like i have a plan for them now.....thank you so much for the inspiration
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigergirl
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012 07:12:03 PM »

Thanks! Let me tell you though - it did not come without headaches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karindanielle
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012 03:24:34 AM »

I love this bag! So very creative.  I like that you even used the chopping board, and all that pockets! Must be the perfect recycled bag. Congrats on a job well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigergirl
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012 03:51:54 PM »

Thanks! It'll take him forever to find anything now - it will always be in the last pocket he checks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JS

** 29 AGAIN?? ** Talk about recycling!! **

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012 01:24:15 PM »

Wow, you thought of everything and created his perfect bag - awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.
tigergirl
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012 02:24:07 PM »

Thanks! However, I just know that I'll be receiving helpful hints along the line of "if only it had ...." - it's inevitable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012 01:16:55 PM »

Okay, I seriously love that it has a super secret pocket.  It IS very Get Smart! 

Fabulous job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigergirl
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012 02:15:04 PM »

lol

I can just imagine that pocket filling up and he can't work out why the bag is really, really heavy when he thinks it's empty Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krekkertje
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012 08:54:00 AM »

I love it! You did a great job sewing it so neat.Jeans is so hard to sew esp a few layers! Compliments
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigergirl
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012 04:20:07 PM »

Thanks! There was certainly a lot of frustration involved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alexxxx
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012 04:30:52 PM »

love this!
you did a great job, i LOVE to recycled denim too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigergirl
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012 04:28:53 AM »

thanks! A few years ago I bought a stack of jeans from a thrift shop for $1 a bag - there are still a lot left. Then of course there are all of the jeans I've bought to wear that no longer fit
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alexxxx
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012 02:35:49 PM »

thanks! A few years ago I bought a stack of jeans from a thrift shop for $1 a bag - there are still a lot left. Then of course there are all of the jeans I've bought to wear that no longer fit

A BAG OF JEANS FOR $1 Shocked Shocked Shocked

Jealous Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigergirl
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012 01:35:33 AM »

A BAG OF JEANS FOR $1 Shocked Shocked Shocked

Jealous Grin

Might have been $2 - it was years ago. They weren't wearable though - too big, too small, too short, too Mumsy etc. I just bought them to cut up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012 01:07:13 PM »

ive sewed a slew of purses and have used a variety of bottoms:  cardboard, plastic embroidery pieces and foamy pieces, but my fav on here are the campaign signs.  I sew the bottom in, most of the time, or actually tack the bottom in place.  I like the spray adhesive idea, though.  The idea of removing the piece has merits, also. I like to use a fabric covering on the plastic, but I can already see the use of adhesive. Mostly, my bottom piece is inside the lining.  thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013 10:16:38 AM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2012 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2012 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liliv-1
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013 01:19:42 PM »

I like it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Fireworks Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Exposure Compensation Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Dusk/Dawn Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Delete Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Custom White Balance Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...