A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting makes me cry  (Read 1429 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

croonqueen
« on: June 05, 2012 07:45:03 PM »

I knitted for hours tonight and ended up ripping out every row.  I have dabbled in, if not immersed myself in, a million different crafts but knitting is just HARD.

I'm sorry, I just had to vent to people who would understand.  My husband is buried nose deep in his computer and just kinds of nods at me when I talk crafting.

Ok, rant is over.  I feel better now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012 06:59:02 AM »

I always used to knit and rip out when I was learning. That was because I had a limited amount of yarn (string actually) and needed to reuse it to practice something else...

However, maybe you were overtired and that's why you made mistakes. In the begining only knit a couple of hours, and put it down every half hour to walk around and take a break. Practice will improve everything, just don't overdo it.  {{{{hugs}}}}
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
croonqueen
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012 06:07:13 PM »

Thanks Sue.  I started over today and am off to a wildly good start with my hat.  So far, it's perfect! 

for now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012 07:54:09 PM »

I feel the exact same way when it comes to crocheting. For the life of me I can't get the tension right. I'll start an afghan and get like 3-4 hours into it and realize the damn thing is crooked .. or it's just 'off' and I don't know why. I totally feel your pain, because you start over the next day after ripping out your work and winding up your yarn ball again, just to get frustrated later that night when you realize your second attempt is going the same way the first one did. I totally understand your pain, I currently have that crooked, lumpy 4 hour afghan under my coffee table because I can't bare rip the stitches and roll the yarn ball up again for the 3rd time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
croonqueen
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012 05:28:52 PM »

Lol yes, and now I have 'knitters elbow' so I have to take a break for a few days.  Ahhh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012 07:34:56 AM »

Yep. I feel your pain. the worst is when you're working on a circular needle and realise you made a catastrophic mistake about 4 rows back... then redo it, and manage the SAME FRICKING MISTAKE again.

my tea cosy is finally looking like one though, but it's caused me so much frustration I'm glad it's going to be a gift because I on't think I could bear to look at it lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012 07:26:49 PM »

I did the same thing, but more on purpose. I would knit to learn a new stitch or technique and rip it out if it was wrong at all. It game me lots of practice and I have those techniques down though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookem
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012 09:22:01 PM »

I avoided knitting for 20 years (a grandmother taught me when I was five, I took it up again at 25) because it was so frustrating! one day, I just sorta got it. Now I knit every day and I love it as much as I love sewing, albeit for very different reasons.

While persistence is often necessary for learning a new skill, if you're feeling really frustrated then maybe taking a break might be the thing to do... Maybe not for 20 years, but a few days at least. It might be hard to believe now, but knitting can be really fun. Don't worry, one day it's going to click and in the mean time, know that we've all been where you are now (I'm looking at you, stupid hat I had to frog eight times!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012 01:32:46 PM »

never try to lean a new stitch or follow a chart while watching TV either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012 01:06:17 PM »

Practice, concentration and patience.  And with the help of some wonderful Craftsters here you can knit anything your put your mind to.  I never thought I would be able to knit and here I am knitting away.  Slowly of course, but knitting away none the less.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Different Celebrities Wearing the Same Dress
Pregnant Stars Rocking Their Style
Cannes Festival 2013: Best and Worst Dressed
Style Evolution: Mila Kunis
Hottest Shoes For The Fall Season
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...