A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lana's 8th Bday  (Read 1530 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my brown eyed girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 05, 2012 07:20:21 PM »

Lana had lots of fun ideas for her Bday parties this year.  She wanted a climbing party with a summer theme and a Harry Potter mini celebration at school the following day.  I love parties, but I do have one major complaint...Lana's Bday is very close to the end of the school year and that is the time of year when her school has lots of field trips making it extra hectic.  This year we had 3 days in a row of Bday parties (Sat, Sun, Mon).  All of which would have been ok, but I had a baby shower that I was in charge of the Thurs before and a pool party for her class the day after (Tues) so I'm pooped.  Anyhow this is part of what we did:

Her hula party was a small celebration with homemade cupcakes and Japanese water yo-yos for all the keiki!

For her summer theme party at the climbing center Lana decided that the kids should climb for a tee.  So 3 weeks ahead of time we made 25 tees for all friends and family.  The kids had fun climbing and while they had a pizza break the staff put the tees up high for them to find on their last climb.  (I wish I could show some pics of the kids enjoying themselves, but I don't want to put any kid's pictures out there without their parent's permission.)

Afterwards we munched on beach cupcakes to keep with the summer theme: beach mats-fruit roll ups, sand-graham cracker, water-blue frosting, inner tubes-lifesaver gummies, teddy-teddy grahams with piped on bathing suits, and umbrella-drink umbrellas.
These were loads of fun to make and eat! 

The next day we brought in treats for a mini HP party.  We had cauldron cakes (BC cupcakes with a chocolate Hershey's kiss and a homemade chocolate buttercream frosting), butterbeer (vanilla ice cream, butterscotch topping, and cream soda), and a few HP treats from Honeydukes: chocolate frogs, Bertie Bott's beans, and salt water taffy.  Smiley  I used some clipart from the web to make the labels. I only have pics of the butterbeer and treats...the cupcakes disappeared before I could snap a pic.  Sad

Anyhow it was a grueling 3 days of parties and I am soooo glad that they are over!  Phew.  Tonight I made 13 pairs of earrings, 2 sets of Lego cufflinks, and a stamped pendant for Lana's teachers.  I also crocheted a cute summer bag for her main teacher.  I can't wait to go to sleep tonight.  Tomorrow is her last day of school!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012 08:49:43 PM »

Those are the best party ideas! Climbing for a prize rocks and the cupcakes are absolutely fabulous. I am pinning them right now. Oh, and the Honeydukes candy? Amazing. So are the water yo-yos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gr33nT3a
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012 12:35:37 AM »

There is so much awesome in this post I hardly know where to begin!

1. It's awesome you made something for them to take home and use. I'm sure all the (keiki)kids really loved reaching the goal and getting their T-shirt.

2. Beach cakes and cupcakes are always a hit. I love the little fruit roll up/fruit by the foot beach towels the teddy grahams are sunbathing on.

3. Three celebrations! The amount of work put into your daughter's birthday is crazy! The HP stuff is super cute and am sure the kids loved eating everything.

I'm curious which island you're on? I'm from the mainland but live on Oahu right now and am always surprised at the amount of work that goes into the birthday parties here. My brother and my birthdays were always pretty low key (but still super special and fun). We got to invite some friends over and got to choose where we wanted to eat.

We both had a couple proper parties but nothing like this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Běifāng yǒu jiārn, jush r dl. Y g qīng rn chng, zi g qīng rn gu. Nng b zhī qīng chng yǔ qīng gu. Jiārn nn zi d.
北方有佳人,绝世而独立。一顾倾人城,再顾倾人国。宁不知倾城与倾国。佳人难再得。
corduroy cat
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012 06:21:54 AM »

omg Lana is gorgeous! how old is she now? (i just read the title!) one of these days i'll be looking on craftster and you'll be posting her prom dress pics, lol  Shocked oh and i have a handsome 10yr old nephew in Ca to keep in mind for her when they are older teehee!

i can't believe how much you get done, you're like a one-woman factory!  Kiss
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012 06:23:51 AM by corduroy cat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012 03:05:18 PM »

Thanks Calabaza!!  None of these are my ideas...just put them together into a party.  Smiley  The kids loved climbing for their tees.  I think that was the highlight of the party.  Smiley  I am now inspired to learn more about making fun cupcakes.  Homemade is heartmade.  Smiley

Aloha Gr33nT3a!  I'm from Oahu too...but now living in MD.  Luckily I found a wonderful halau so that Lana has lots of local style aunties and uncles.  Smiley  This is the first time that I tried to make a super big celebration for Lana.  It was fun, but I am sooo thankful that it is over.

Hi CC!!  Aw, thanks!  Mmm, I'll definitely keep your nephew in mind.  It would be great being family with you!  Think of all the crafty mischief we'd get into.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessikay234
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012 10:50:37 PM »

i am planning to do this next for my son birthday as i had a penguin birthday for my daughter and there was a lot of work
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Resize a Selection in Paint.NET
How to Resize a Title in Title Designer in Premiere CS3
How to Resize the Stage in Flash CS3
How to Save a Selection in Photoshop CS3
How to Save a Workspace Setup in InDesign CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...