A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How effective is cedar at repelling moths and vermin??  (Read 582 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

P.A. Farms
« on: June 05, 2012 09:51:44 AM »

I have access to some cedar woodworking leftovers and am wondering how much is needed to protect a given sized garment/piece of cloth. I have seen large plastic totes sold that have a small cedar block attached to the lid that's supposed to protect all the contents in the tote, but am not sure if that only works because the tote is sealed and relatively air tight. Huh

For example, if I had some 1" cedar rods made and rolled cloth around them, would that offer sufficient protection for several yards, even if the outside layer was 2"-3" away from the cedar? What if the outside layer was 5"-6" away?

Or if you left a knitting project on cedar needles and put it away for a while, would the needles be enough to protect your project, if it was around maybe 1-2 square feet?  How about something larger?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012 06:43:21 PM »

It's the volatile oils in cedar that both give it that yummy smell and repels bugs. I just toss in some cedar balls with my sweaters during summer storage and forget about it. I should think that unless you already have a moth problem, or are storing your stuff where moths can get to your goodies (like a crappy shed), it shouldn't even be a problem. That said, the stronger the smell, the more effective the piece of cedar will be. A couple small chunks of freshly cut cedar in your stash/WIP storage area should be a decent deterrent for a year or so. Fresh cedar might get bits of bark all over your goodies, but would be just as effective.

If you're worried anything might have moth eggs in it, double-garbage-bag it and huck it in the freezer for a week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jim Wallis Talks About Rediscovering Values
Michelle Karen Talks About Astrology for Enlighten
Sarah Wendell Reveals Her Favorite TV Show
Scott Higham and Sari Horwitz Talk About Finding Chandra
Dark Dude Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...