A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie questions ... (tiptoeing into quilting by making a rag quilt)  (Read 622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Em77
« on: June 03, 2012 03:27:26 PM »

Smiley  Thanks for taking the time to read this:  I am new to sewing and I have never attempted a quilt.  They scare me, LOL.  I REALLY want to make one but I decided to attempt a rag quilt first... just to get used to the cutting and the arranging and all of that... then on to a REAL quilt.  I have a lot of basic questions though.  I have read many tutorials on rag quilts but my questions are so BASIC that I guess people think it is common knowledge or common sense... unfortunately it is not for me... yet.   Huh  First off I am using my daughter's old receiving blankets, I saw that flannel is a good medium for this and I believe that all of those blankets are flannel.  I think it could be an awesome keepsake for her.  I do not have a lot of money so I am going to use fleece that I already own as my batting.  I am going to cut the flannel and the fleece the same size instead of cutting the batting smaller, it is pink and I believe that it will look super cute hanging out of the edges and it will also add some continuity to the blanket.  I know that the flannel will fray and the fleece will not, but I think it will look cute.  I am debating on whether or not I should sew the "X" onto each square.  I do not think that it is necessary to do that because of the batting and the fabric being cut to the same size, BUT I do like the look of it and I could use the sewing practice.  Here is my first question... if I do decide to sew the "X", do I sew it from end to end?  Or do I leave some space for the seam allowance?  I have seen it both ways in the tutorials and I am confused on what the difference is.  Also, do I need to back-stitch when making the "X", my first thought is to back-stitch everything, but in the tutorials they do not look back-stitched.  Also, do any of you suggest special treatment of the ends (to finish off the blanket)?  Most tutorials just say to sew around it, then rag it out.  Should I use a special stitch or double stitch it?  I have no clue.  LOL  One more question, I would like to make a fairly large quilt (full size or larger, not sure yet) any suggestions on what size my squares should be?  I assume it will easier to make, the bigger they are but it may also be the bigger the squares are, the more difficult it is? Undecided   LOL 
I was thinking about making them 9 inch blocks that would make them 8 inches when sewn.

Any help or suggestions are welcome... thanks in advance! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012 09:43:26 AM »

Rag quilts are really versatile, meaning you can decide for yourself how you want to do them.  For example, I don't use batting when I make rag quilts. Batting adds warmth, but it also adds weight and bulk. . .  decide what matters more to you.  
-I always sew the X from corner to corner (I "mark" the X by pressing the blocks in half and sewing on the crease).  I find it helps keep the layers from shifting too much.
-Rag quilts are sewn with an extra wide seam allowance, so back stitching shouldn't be necessary, but if it makes you feel better, that's ok.
-Once I am done piecing, I stitch once around the entire perimeter of the quilt, then I snip around all the seam allowances, and the perimeter.  I use a straight stitch, but a zigzag or decorative stitch would be fine (straight stitches are faster and use less thread). Feel free to experiment.
AS for size, I use my fabric as a guide. . .  That is, I determine the size of the squares so that I can reduce waster and maximize the usable parts. . .  confused?  While most cotton quilting fabrics runs 42" x 45" wide, flannels can be a lot narrower after washing.  If my narrowest fabric is 40 inches (after cutting off selvedges) I can get 5 8" squares but only 4 9" squares, so I'd go with the 8".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
Em77
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012 07:40:02 PM »

Smiley  Thank you Eowynt!  So much useful input... I really appreciate it!  I now feel like I have a direction to run in!!!  *phew*

(A lot of exclamations, I know, but I was really confused and at a standstill.)  

I also wanted to say that I fully understand all your explanations and I thank you for that, as well.  Plus I LOVE the tip of pressing the "X" into the blocks, that will help this scared newbie so much!  You are awesome... 

Grin
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012 08:15:17 PM by Em77 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012 03:01:18 PM »

You are welcome.  Glad to help, and welcome to the world of quilting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
Em77
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012 05:35:35 PM »

Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rachel Kushner Talks About Telex from Cuba
Emily Yellin Reveals Her Best Quality
Jim Benton Draws His Character Franny K. Stein
Sonya Chung Talks About Long for This World
The UltraMind Solution Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...