A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Hobbit Mirkwood Neclace (with loads of work-in-progress pics)  (Read 2019 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aliis
« on: June 03, 2012 07:01:26 AM »

My Hobbit Swap partner has received her package so I can finally post this piece of jewellery without spoiling her surprise Grin

Here it is in all its glory! I'm kind of selfishly in love with this piece. Grin I'm definitely going to make something similar for myself later on... but in gold 'cause I don't wear silver.

There are dark branches of Mirkwood forest, spiders, butterflies that Bilbo sees when he climbs up in one of the tree. Blue glass beads on other side represent Forest river which carries them out of the forest. One of beads is caged as in "imprisoned". Teehee! Got it? Okay, not very good joke I must admit but joke nevertheless... Chain in it is Jens Pind Lincage I made myself! Weaving tutorial can be found here.

It's a really dangly piece, I hope it won't get caught on things too much.

Closeup pic of spider and butterfly.

Centerpiece.

I made matching bracelet from some leftover pieces so I could justify myself to buy that beautiful clasp. Grin

I'm posting some work-in-progress photos too cause I thought it might be fun for you to see how all this took its form. Here are first spiders just hangin' around (probably thinking something like "What on earth are we doing here?") Second spider had later its legs trimmed bit shorter...

Loads of experiments in this picture, Can you find them all?
-Jens Pind Linkage chain that was too chunky (it ended up as bracelet and I made another chain from smaller links)
-Early experiments for branch links with flower
-Small chain (too tricky to make, I ended up buying it ready made)
-Black River
-"Dwarf in a barrel"
-running Forest river

Third bigger spider joins the party! I was really tempted to make small wrapped dwarf hanging from the web as well...

This is a bit really bittersweet picture because there's lots of elements that I would love to have included but in the end they just didn't seem to fit anywhere. I really love that little owl, it just had a wrong kind of hole in it (big round on it's side and still too small for bracelet's chain)! I also found perfect barrels for escaping dwarfs but had to leave them out in the end, one of them is included in bracelet though. Also had to leave out some butterflies and most of metallic leaves but managed to sneak some of them in at least. Wink "River" part was too heavy this way and dragging whole thing off balance so I had to leave most beads out of it as well.

I also posted small "how to make silvery spiders" tutorial on HP Summer semester Craftalong, just follow the spidersGrin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Road goes ever ever on...
ally-oops
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012 07:25:40 AM »

WOW! Your work is so beautiful!  I love the way you incorporated so many elements in such a creative way Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mama24boyz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

AND1GIRL!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012 07:34:21 AM »

wow!!  This is AWESOME!!  I LOVE it!!!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012 09:03:30 AM »

This is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012 10:37:10 AM »

That's an exquisitely wearable work of art. Love how so many of the major elements (the web pendant, spiders, chain...) are handmade too, even though it would have been possible to find most of them pre-made if you'd really wanted to. All that extra effort makes it that much more special!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliis
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012 11:45:18 AM »

Love how so many of the major elements (the web pendant, spiders, chain...) are handmade too, even though it would have been possible to find most of them pre-made if you'd really wanted to. All that extra effort makes it that much more special!

Than you! Actually, where I live we have to make our own parts. Most of those amazing supplies I see in other people's jewellery aren't available around here... I'm planning to make major supplies-for-years-to-come order from U.S. or Asia... Or how about: Will weave chain for charms! Wink

It's not that I'm shamed to use pre-made parts if I ever get hold of any Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Road goes ever ever on...
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012 01:19:09 PM »

There's no shame in using pre-made parts - I just think you should be extra proud of your handmade ones, because they're stunning! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012 09:38:01 AM »

A masterpiece you've made here!!  All these handmade pieces are so well made, at first I thought you must have bought them!  Hitting this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
edeneadams

A crafty girl from Canada <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012 05:13:57 PM »

This is so beautiful and creative! I love how you used wire to incorporate the beads into the necklace. Good job =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Mulan
How to Draw Timon from the Lion King
How to Draw Roronoa Zoro from One Piece Manga
How to Draw Stewie from Family Guy
How to Draw Vector from the Despicable Me Movie
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...