A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,788
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Earrings with one good side, and one plain side HELP!!  (Read 383 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

babyphunk
« on: June 03, 2012 12:49:47 AM »

I am trying to make a pair of earrings using felt pieces and beads.
There is a left design, and a right design. The beads are on one side, and have a plain side.
I dont know how to put in the hooks, as currently when I wear them the designs tend to face backwards.

Can anyone shed some light on how to work out:
1. How do you work out which one is the right ear, left ear?

Sounds really silly but I am confused! When looking at earrings photos, sometimes the earring hooks both face the same way like 2 rights, 2 lefts, 2 facing in, 2 facing out...
There does not seem to be much information on earrings that have a good side (must be at front) and a bad side ( must go towards back)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012 11:09:35 AM »

You probably won't have to make two different earrings...you'll just have to make two of the same but each in the correct orientation.

You didn't say which kinds of connectors and/or holes you're using though, and that would be important.
You may need to use a jump ring, for example, between the earring and the earring finding (ear wire, etc) or between the jump ring that goes through a hole you've made and the earring finding.

Also, earlobes and even earlobe holes can be a bit different in the ways they naturally  make those orientations.  The holes in my earlobes have slightly different slants, and my ears and lobes are fairly flat to my head, so orienting them the way I want can sometimes involve fiddling.
Sometimes you may want the good side to face directly out from your head, but sometimes you may want to angle it a bit so the good side is seen from the front of your head.

In general though, you'll want to arrange the eye pin (or whatever you're using) so that the earring faces almost perpendicular to the earring finding rather than parallel to it.  That's because for most people the ear wire will be oriented perpendicular to your face (like an arrow sticking out of your head at that area) rather than parallel to it.

Sometimes you can also just twist the ear wires, jump rings or even the eyepins/etc in the earrings (if that's possible after they're used) to make things hang right.

Just keep putting versions of orientations into your ear hole to see which way the item faces naturally, then add more jump rings or other connectors, or twist something.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012 11:13:28 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Chocolate Salami
How to Make Halloween Themed Carrot Cakes
Cute Kids Halloween Snack: Vampire Donuts
How to Make Homemade Gourmet Chocolate Bars
How to Make Bloody Marshmallows for Halloween
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...