A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Twister shirt- first try at transfer paper  (Read 2433 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ynneg
« on: June 26, 2005 12:46:36 PM »

After hearing so many great things about Avery dark transfers I decided to give it a try. I got my image from a twister game mat. The front got really screwed up and dark. I had assumed that after peeling the tissue it would be white and shiny, but no.

So here's the image:

The back:

The back's fine because I did it after the front and turned down the heat. In hindsight I should have done the back first..

So that's my first try at transfer paper.. I think the front got messed up because it was too hot.. Any suggestions for improving my next attempt?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005 07:54:53 AM by ynneg » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jessabelle

Lover, I don't have to love.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005 09:15:45 PM »

Aww that shirt's soo cute! I never thought of that idea. Unfortunately, I too, am new to the world of iron-on transfers so I'm not sure how to help you, I guess just turn the heat at a lower setting and do it for a longer time. But I actually like the way it looks. Its rather vintage-looking. Awesome job.

Rock on. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ynneg
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005 09:31:36 AM »

Thanks! I think the lower heat will do the trick, but I guess the darkness does make a pretty cool effect. My friends and I actually pulled out the twister mat the other night and I thought the image on it would make for a nice shirt, and I think it did Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dee86
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005 06:27:34 PM »

Lower heat for sure will do the trick. I made almost all of  my tee using my good iron set to the cotton setting. I used an old iron for another, however, and it really messed up the transfer, making it crack and look really faded and awful. This was because it heated up much more than the good iron did.

I didn't want to use the crappy iron again but I'm sure if I turned down the heat it would be fine. I still think the front looks decent and you did a really good job with the back. Even though you were disappointed with the front, the turnout is SO much better than it would have been had you used regular transfers.

I'm glad I inspired you to buy them and I wish you luck with your next attempts! Once you figure out the right settings with your iron you will make some AMAZING shirts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ynneg
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005 08:58:08 AM »

Yeah, thanks for the inspiration Smiley Despite the fact that it didn't come out how I had wanted it's not peeling or anything, so that's a good sign. I had my iron to the cotton setting at first and it occurs to me that the shirt was a cotton/poly blend. That would explain why the cotton setting wasn't optimal, so I'm sure that in the future the lower heat will improve the results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PpCakes
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005 05:24:48 PM »

thats cute <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my blog, its full of crafty awesome things, and life!

xo
http://ckscribbles.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 4/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 16/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 18/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 17/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 13/19
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...