A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shop the Swap 63 **Discussion Thread**  (Read 17197 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

calluna
« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2012 07:37:57 PM »

Berry-picking?! You lucky ladies!!

I like the idea for just 1-2 months to see what happens...And you're talking about the general STS format, right? Rather than the Secret Santa off-shoot (in which I was spoiled to no end and was too humbled to manage doing again  Wink)?

Also, I apologize, TSM, I meant to respond to your last post, and your previous post, and then never did, because I've been constantly distracted from Craftster and I just forgot.  Embarrassed Anyway, a) Congrats!, b) I hope your house did survive the last string of storms, and c) Yeah, no swap-news lately, and I am not chomping-at-the-bit to resume because I don't have much crafting time right now and I'd like to be able to offer more/different stuff. By October I'll have my Craftster ATC calendar ready to offer in STS (see link in my signature, if I didn't mention it already), and a different custom page-a-day calendar for craftaddiction will be ready by November at the latest...Things will probably just get busier until early December, but I'd still most likely be able to be involved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2012 07:48:48 PM »

I like the idea for just 1-2 months to see what happens...And you're talking about the general STS format, right? Rather than the Secret Santa off-shoot (in which I was spoiled to no end and was too humbled to manage doing again  Wink)?

No, the secret santa version! Smiley  A one-month version would cut back somewhat on spoilage, you know...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2K

arf arf!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2012 10:27:37 AM »

I love the sts holiday swap!  I'm in!  

p.s.  what kind of berries?  Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012 10:29:07 AM by A2K » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftaddiction
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2012 10:36:28 AM »

So what are the benefits having a 1 month swap? I can't really see any. I can see benefits of have having a longer craft time. It is a busy time, craft wise and ortherwise. And I've never seen anyone complain that they have too much time to craft.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to swap for things kids could do in the car on a long car trip (3 girls ages 5-12). I can knit, crochet or trade yarn.

My pinterest
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2012 11:28:46 AM »

So loves2experiment and I have been talking about how to set up the STS to run in more of a quarterly fashion.  We thought that we could try for a Holiday Market this year and see how it goes.

-signups from September 15-October 15 (the signups can not be longer than one month)  Claiming would run through until the end of November (this can be a little later if everyone wishes)

-once you sign up you will have to stay in at least until claiming is over at the end of November < no early leaving.  Of course if you send claims at the very end of the swap period you will have to wait for receipt of the package before getting your feedback.

-its very important that everyone commits to keeping their shop updated, with the required minimum of 5 crafted items at all times

-we would keep the 3 point lending system so would continue with starting with 3 and ending with 3.  You would still need to close and spend down once you are at 7 points < possibly within a week as one of our big issues was people "forgetting" to go shopping

Honestly I have no idea if this will work or not, we've never been very successful in the past getting back to 3 points all at once.  We explored ditching the point system but then the swap becomes like the Offer What You Have so really there is no point in duplicating AND no way of ensuring that you get the equivalent value of what you send.  With a shorter time frame the most important things will be to send quickly, spend your points fairly quickly and be prepared to update your shop at all times (maybe keep some items in reserve?)

If this format works out, especially with the all important getting everyone back to 3 points upon closing the swap we would likely continue on (after a winter break) with an early spring swap.  If not, well it may be time to bid a fond farewell to the STS....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
craftaddiction
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2012 11:52:19 AM »

I love the idea of the Holiday Market. STS is my favorite way to get Christmas gifts. Your ideas sound great. I do worry about the 1 week to claim when you close though. What if there is nothing you want? I ran into that problem a couple times before we closed (okay, it could be because there wasn't too many people participating in the last couple months or so). There was just nothing I needed. I trying posted in the discussion thread for anyone that could make items I wanted (I posted a number of ideas, numerous times), but there just wasn't anyone active who could do it (they were simple items, but you remember how slow things got). Should I have been forced to spend my points, when I really did do everything I could to try and spend them? Just a thought....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to swap for things kids could do in the car on a long car trip (3 girls ages 5-12). I can knit, crochet or trade yarn.

My pinterest
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2012 12:21:15 PM »

Raspberry picking with Ptarmic was fun, though Ptarmic failed to mention our ice cream adventure!  YUM!  We turned our batch into jelly this morning!

I think a shorter crafting time of 1 month for the STS holiday swap would be better than a longer craft time!  That way it can be a more focused swap.  Things are especially hectic with preparations for the holidays anyhow.

AM and Loves, sounds good.  Have you considered trying this after the holiday swap say in Feb so that all of us can work on some shop offerings?  Having to stock our shop and craft for the STS holiday swap might be a bit much and I really don't want our swap to suffer and end up being cancelled because of competition from the holiday swap.  At any rate I'm in!!!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012 12:22:56 PM by underthemountain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #177 on: September 02, 2012 01:29:15 PM »

Its never been a problem in the past since the STS holiday appreciation swap is more like a regular gift kind of swap whereas the STS has functioned as more of a shopping kind of swap-they have always run concurrently without either one suffering much. The whole point of the Holiday Market is for people to shop for stocking stuffers/gifts/ornaments for the winter holidays.    If the general consensus is that people wouldn't have time to do both, my feelings wouldn't be hurt as I can live without the workload of the STS before the holidays Cheesy

The claiming within a week is just something I'm throwing out there, honestly the swap is pretty rule heavy already.  With a shorter time frame though everyone will have to keep on top of their points and try to keep them moving as best they can.  I know it can be difficult when there is nothing you want and have no real solution for that unfortunately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
A2K

arf arf!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2012 04:27:01 PM »

I will be very sad if STS goes away.  I will gladly participate in the holiday market! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSapphireMoon

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2012 09:03:37 PM »

So, instead of a monthly signup for STS, it would be a swap run about 4 times a year with 1mo for signups and then about another month or so, total, for all the claiming/sendouts?  Also, we'll start and end each round with 3pt regardless if we will be carrying over to the next round?  I'm guessing the swap will no longer be considered an 'ongoing' swap, if you will, with an excess/deficit of points for those not making it back to 3pt like it used to be.  Hmmm...this sounds like a pretty good way to try to reign in some more new people to the swap Smiley 

I have an event I'm working as well as a fundraiser I'm putting on in late Sept, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to jump in for the Holiday Market or not...depends on what kind of stock I can come up with between now and then.  My spare time HAS been spent focusing on crafts lately, so I may be able to crank out a few good things Smiley  Hell, I put out 3 complete pieces of clothing in about 8 hours (only 1 was pre-cut and in a WIP pile, other 2 were from free-hand patterns I made myself when I sat down to make them!) so I've been pretty fast when I sit down and put my mind to it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back To School Fashion: Animal Print For Girls
Back To School Fashion: The Preppy Look
Kids Fashion: The Surfer Look
Kids Fashion: The Nautical Look
ENK Kids Runway Fall 2011 at NYFW
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...