A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,686
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shop the Swap 63 **Discussion Thread**  (Read 18462 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #140 on: July 26, 2012 04:00:46 PM »

So, here are a few teasers of things that will end up in my shop in the fall:

random felted pods, and other things from a felting workshop that I am going to in September

samples from dye study group

small quilts that I intend to finish

or that I might not finish

stuffed animals that are in progress

and that I haven't started yet

this one is staying with me, but if you are interested in a small custom rug, contact me this summer and I will see about getting it done by the fall
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

« Reply #141 on: July 26, 2012 06:27:12 PM »

OMG!! Dibs on the octo/crab dye study!

ETA: ok gals what kinds of things would you be wanting from me?  I'm off to fill a custom order for a small girl that lives in my house.  She "needs" 7 lego hearts for her friends.  Tomorrow is her last day at camp there.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012 06:28:50 PM by underthemountain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2K

arf arf!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2012 06:24:23 AM »

Love your pods and dye studies, pw!  I have been collecting things, including some new fabrics for oven mitts and hot pads.  Red onions, anyone?  I also have a variety of fruits and veggies.  Cheesy  I thought I would knit up some mittens.  Any color wants?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2012 09:27:46 PM »

Ooo!   Love the dye studies, PW!   Especially the tree and sealife one.  Smiley

A2K... any chicken fabric?   Cheesy   Would be a special bonus if they looked like our Americaunas.   Smiley   

Is anyone updating their wishlists?  Where do you plan on posting them?  In the shops from last round?   

THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #144 on: July 29, 2012 02:14:37 AM »

Hi all! Sorry I haven't been around for so long. I am planning to join for a round or two in the Fall.  Smiley
I'll throw in my verbose two cents about the STS issues...

I'm of the opinion that new blood (or a rotation of people coming and going) is a better stimulus for spending than regular shop updates (though shop updates are always great!); granted, the latter is what is within our control and the former is not. When the number of participants is small and consistent, we reach a claiming stalemate, so to speak, because even if new things are added to the shops (or even if new shops are added), those of us who have been in the swap for a long time have often already claimed anything we could need from each other, and a lot of nice offerings start to look alike.

Knowing that "I'd kind of like to have that, but I can always claim it next month..." inhibits spending and creates a feeling of high supply and low demand. So, I suggest stock rotation: not offering everything you've got in every round. It makes items more enticing when they reappear because of the novelty (this is why McDonalds' McRib sandwich sells so well each year in the U.S.  Cheesy), and we all know we can beg for something specific to be offered again if we really need it.  Smiley  Maybe shutting down every few months would help, too. I'm not saying people should leave, but that the swap as a whole should close out (all points zeroed out) more than once per year.
I'm glad the discussion remains this month; that's what I would miss the most if STS went away! And I appreciate AM and L2E hanging in there after all this time! You definitely deserve a break!

Another possibility, just for September-December, would be reframing/branding STS differently than usual, to draw in all the people who are looking for holiday gifts and making some, too. Sort of an online, barter-based Holiday craft bazaar, where everything that's offered needs to be "gift-quality" (that's a very subjective term, but basically no stuff used or from the thrift store, things with pet hair on them, or botched projects that are being offered for someone else to fix up...all of which have appeared frequently in my shop and I hope they continue appearing in other people's shops in the future!  Grin). Not necessarily "professional-quality", since that requirement would intimidate some of us out of participating, and it starts getting into an elitism issue that doesn't belong in Craftsterland. Just things that the maker considers good enough, as they are, for gifts and/or holiday decor. Customized items, finished items, unopened regiftable new supplies, and (maybe)decorating/holiday supplies only. Everyone could include their shopping wishlists and talk about who they need gifts for in the discussion thread, and hopefully a lot of custom-made gifts could come out of it, a little like the Ongoing Holiday Wishlist Swap is doing.
If someone looked at STS a long time ago, and found it intimidating or confusing or didn't get claims back when they were participating, they probably never look at the new rounds' threads, either. So it might be an interesting experiment to drop "Shop the Swap" from the name altogether for this idea and see if that draws more interest. And because it would run for only a short period, it might be possible to simplify/streamline the usual rules/directions.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012 02:26:48 AM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2012 07:51:05 AM »

I'd like to put my two cents in here.  I've been involved in Craftster since 2009, thankfully because of the assistance I have from my swap partners.  See, I am not able to take and post photos and that prohibits me from joining swaps, such as this one, that I'd like to join.

I AM, however; able to take cell phone pics and e-mail them to someone if they could post them for me.  But then, how would I modify the post for descriptions of my items?

I don't know how many people are out there that would like to join this swap that are in my position, but perhaps a solution to your problem would be to resolve a problem such as this???  I don't know.  Just throwing it out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

« Reply #146 on: July 29, 2012 08:31:56 AM »

Miss Barbara, if you can email the photos to someone, there should be some way that you could get them uploaded onto flickr or craftster photo hosting in your own account. Or even if someone else uploads them into a different account, you could just link that that account when writing a post, and the photos should appear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 29, 2012 01:11:53 PM »

Miss Barbara, you can upload pictures by email to photobucket:
http://support.photobucket.com/entries/21124138-upload-from-email-or-mms-message

or flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/help/photos/
You can also email your photos to your Flickr account. You have your own unique email address that you can use to add your photos to your Flickr photostream or to upload photos to your Flickr photostream AND automatically post them to your blog. Configure your email upload settings here.

Smiley  

Stock rotation could have some merit.  Although there are still things in shops that I want but haven't been able to accumulate enough points for so I would be bummed to finally get my points and have it rotated out.  However, a "warehouse" might be a neat alternative idea.  Some place (a flickr set, a photobucket gallery, a blog post, a pinterest board, a free web page etc) that you link to from your shop that contains "things I've offered in the past I could make again or completed things I've offered in the past that I've rotated out of stock for now" that you could look through and PM the person asking if they could offer item X again or put item X in their shop again because you finally have enough points.   Huh  

I'm not so sure I'd want to have a holiday only themed STS and only do gift type things though, however having holiday gift type items in addition to other non-gifty things is a great idea for the upcoming rounds.   Smiley

Wishlists:  I went ahead and created a wish list of things I'd like to see in the next few rounds.  I added it to my shop from last round.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012 01:18:28 PM by Avesthel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftaddiction
« Reply #148 on: July 29, 2012 01:16:27 PM »

I love the gift idea. I am already collecting for Christmas. I think "gift quality" would have to be defined, as a stocking stuffer for a 6 year old may not be the same quality as a delicate lace scarf for an adult. I would want to be able to get "little" things too, as I am always trying to find stocking stuffers for my parents or things to put in gift bags for people around town.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012 01:16:44 PM by craftaddiction » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to swap for things kids could do in the car on a long car trip (3 girls ages 5-12). I can knit, crochet or trade yarn.

My pinterest
Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 29, 2012 01:49:53 PM »

I love the gift idea. I am already collecting for Christmas. I think "gift quality" would have to be defined, as a stocking stuffer for a 6 year old may not be the same quality as a delicate lace scarf for an adult.
I think the idea of "gift quality" being defined feels like it is out of the spirit of Craftster.    Undecided     Everyone here does their best and shouldn't have to worry about the quality of it.  No one is obligated to claim if the shop offerings don't suit their needs.     Smiley 

I like the idea of having some gift type items in the shops, but I wouldn't want it to only be gifty/holiday items.   I love the variety of things in all the shops.   Smiley   

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pick a Swimsuit for an Hourglass-Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Pear-Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for an Apple-Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for an Athletic Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Petite Body
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...