A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,629
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shop the Swap 63 **Discussion Thread**  (Read 16378 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2012 11:32:36 AM »

Perhaps if we made it a requirement for swappers to add 1 (or 2) new item(s) for each round, it might be doable (and less intimidating)? 

IMO, I don't think that's too much to ask for...and I know I'll try my darnest to comply if it was a requirement (as opposed to a suggestion) Wink 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
Avesthel

♥ birds ♥

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2012 11:35:30 AM »

I think redhairskydiver said that because people tended to sit on their 3 points and not spend so they didn't risk going below the 3 point mark so they could leave the swap and not be 'stuck' in it.   The little bit extra made it easier for the money to start flowing and people to feel a little less reserved about saving their points.  Which made the swap more fun.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avesthel

♥ birds ♥

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2012 11:37:23 AM »

Perhaps if we made it a requirement for swappers to add 1 (or 2) new item(s) for each round, it might be doable (and less intimidating)?  

IMO, I don't think that's too much to ask for...and I know I'll try my darnest to comply if it was a requirement (as opposed to a suggestion) Wink  

Sure, that could work.  Maybe make it a rule that they cannot open shop until they add one new item (supply or crafted).

Maybe also have "new this round" section in your shop so the new items are easier to find?  That's more of a personal preference though, but I'd be happy to start adding that section at the top of each area (craft and supplies) each round.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012 11:42:07 AM by Avesthel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2012 12:08:33 PM »

Sure, that could work.  Maybe make it a rule that they cannot open shop until they add one new item (supply or crafted).

Hmm...maybe include that in signups? 
As in "For returning swappers, do you have one new (crafted?) item to add to your shop?"  It shouldn't be too difficult to craft one new item every month for the shop? 

Again, just my opinion...but I would much rather see crafted items added to the shops.  Supplies are awesome as well, but it seems like it'll take hardly any effort at all to list a new 'supply' item Undecided

Maybe also have "new this round" section in your shop so the new items are easier to find?  That's more of a personal preference though, but I'd be happy to start adding that section at the top of each area (craft and supplies) each round.

Love this suggestion! Cheesy

I tend to list items in to sections - crafted items and supplies...and items in each section are listed according to point values Roll Eyes  Having a "New this round!" section would be fun...or even a "NEW!" notation next to new items would def. help!  I've seen some of the shops do this and I'm def. drawn to checking out those newly listed items Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Spring Market 2014
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2012 12:10:38 PM »

I think we're kind of rule heavy to start with and that is the main reason we don't get  many new people signing up-its rather intimidating.  We already have a point signup rule (have to sign up by the 15th if you are under/over 3) and I personally would not want the extra hassle of having to police whether people have new items before signing them up.  This swap is enough of a work load already....when we have a fair number of shops and claims happening it adds up to hours of our time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2012 12:34:29 PM »

And there's that...we're definitely 'rule heavy' *sigh*

Well, on a positive note...let's keep discussing things until we find a good solution Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Spring Market 2014
Avesthel

♥ birds ♥

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2012 12:53:52 PM »

Yes, maybe it would be too rule heavy then.    Undecided    But I still think it is a good suggestion and we should encourage people to add new things every single round.   Smiley  

-------

I've been thinking about this 3.5 point per person average that redheadskydiver recommended and I think there is a problem with both too many points average per person and too few points average per person.  I agree with her that a 3.5 point per person average is the best.  

More than 3.5 avg:  majority of stores are closed since they have to spend points but not enough open shops now to spend in
Less than 3.5 avg:  everyone holding on to their points desperately since they know they need 3 to leave the swap.
3.5 avg: not too many points extra so people feel comfortable spending them thus keeping the swapping going.

Too many:  caused by people leaving the swap without paying back their 3 point loan OR by a large outflow of swappers
Too few:  caused by people leaving the swap with too many points (greater than 3) since their points are no longer are in circulation  OR a large inflow of swappers.

But how to gain this 3.5/person avg?  

One way to do this would be to 'print money'.  Wink  

There are two cases to consider.  
case a:  brand new start of the STS ... like what will happen in Sept/Oct when people all have 3 points.
case b:  continuation of the STS from month to month.

case a:  brand new start of the STS ... like what will happen in Sept/Oct when people all have 3 points.  
 I suggest having a date (maybe the 10th of the month?) that you 'print money' and raffle off these extra points in a giveaway.  Everyone who's shop is open by the 10th is eligible to be in point giveaway.    To determine how many points to give away, count the number of swappers in the swap (even the closed shops), then

Example:
15 shops started with 3 points each.   That makes 45 total points.
So, to have an avg of 3.5 points each you will need 15 shops times 0.5 points = 7.5 points extra.  
Round up (or down, I'll do up for my example) and you get 8 points to giveaway.

So do a raffle and raffle off these 8 points on the 10th of the month and get the extra money in circulation.   That should get the economy going for a fresh round of STS.  Then at that point, switch to case b.

case b: continuation of the STS from month to month.  
It is easier to explain by example I think, so here is an example.  

I moved the inflation fund to the top instead of within the list of swappers:

Points updated July 31

inflation fund   4   0   4
equilibrium fund 0   0   0

JaneDoe   2   2   4
JaneDoe 0   5   5
JaneDoe 3   1  4
JaneDoe  1   0   1
JaneDoe 5   2   7
JaneDoe 1   0   1
JaneDoe  4   0   4
JaneDoe  0   0   0
JaneDoe  6   0   6
JaneDoe  5   0   5
JaneDoe 3   0   3
JaneDoe 4   2   6
JaneDoe 3   1   4
JaneDoe 2   0   2
JaneDoe 1   1   2

At the very end of the round, tally up the average points per person to balance the budget.

There are 15 swappers.
There are 62 total points (counting inflation fund) which averages to 3.9 points per person.
To have a 3.5/person avg you need 15 times 3.5 points = 52.5 points....round up to 53.
Which leaves an excess of (62points-53points) = 9 points

Take 4 points from inflation fund to reduce these 9 points to 5 points.

making:
inflation fund   0   0   0
equilibrium fund   -5   0   -5

Now you can ask for people to kindly donate points to quickly get the equilibrium fund back to zero.  Or you can wait for people to leave the swap with excess points above 3 and apply their extra points to the deficit in the equilibrium fund first, and than once the equilibrium fund reaches zero, then add any extra points to the inflation fund.

The other situation is .... what if you find you are less than 3.5 points per person instead of over 3.5 per person?  Then you go back to case A and figure out how many points you need to get to that 3.5 avg and then dip into the inflation fund and/or print money again and do a point give away to get the economy back in balance.

You shouldn't need to do this balancing the budget sheets except for every few months as it will mostly likely be a gradual shift (up or down) from 3.5 points per person.  Unless there is a large influx (would drive the average below 3.5) or large outflow (would drive the average above 3.5) of swappers.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012 10:37:59 AM by Avesthel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

This Shall Be For Music

« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2012 03:01:41 PM »

I think we've tried encouraging people to add new stuff, but people get busy and things slide.  That said I liked Ptarmic's idea of having people post a new item every month in our thread to keep things moving along.  I think many of us have taken the swap for granted.  Hopefully some time off will allow us to all come back with great, new items!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
Live aloha
Sylwa

« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2012 08:09:37 AM »

Hi everyone!

I have been thinking about this swap for months but have been always too busy to sign up and I finally decided that I can manage it only to find out you are closing for the summer  Sad
So, I will totally sign up when it's open again  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avesthel

♥ birds ♥

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2012 11:08:53 AM »

Hi Sylwa, looking forward to seeing your shop once the STS opens again.  Smiley

-----

I still can't figure out why we ended up with so many surplus points as our average was close to what redheadskydiver (who seemed to understand the economics far better than I) always said we needed to be at which was around 3.5

I do believe this swap needs to have a certain number of people to make it work really well and think the way it ended with everyone having points they couldn't spend was in large part a result of having very few shops the last few rounds.

I just had another thought today about the excess points and I think another reason for excess points (aside from people flaking in leaving the swap without repaying their loan) would be the large outflow of swappers.  And this might even be a bigger reason than people leaving without repaying their loan.    But we can correct this and make the swap workable with a small number of shops if we keep the economy in balance at 3.5/points per person.   Smiley

Here's what might have happened:

Let's say we had 40 swappers with a point average of 3.5 per person.  
That gives us 140 total available points.

Then 25 people leave the swap (over time, over one month... doesn't really matter).
They all pay back their 3 point loan, so 25 times 3 points is 75 points that the economy loses.
That gives us 65 total available points.

But we now only have 15 swappers, so our average rose to 4.3 points/per swapper.
Which causes problems like we had in the last round.

And here are our numbers from last round were:
63 total points (not counting the inflation fund) with 15 swappers which is 4.2 points/per swapper.

But, yes, the points average is not the only problem.  Keeping new things in our shops would also help so that it keeps the swap exciting and people can have new things to spend their points on which keeps the points moving and the swap going.   And new inventory might be the better (and definitely easier) solution.

Another thought on adding new things in the shops is that new inventory might attract more people to join the swap.   Smiley  

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012 11:10:07 AM by Avesthel - Reason: fixing mistakes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew an Elastic Waistband
How to Sew an Overlock Stitch
How to Sew Corners
How to Sew a Topstitch
Choosing the Right Tools for Sewing Projects
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...