A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: We have alpacas.. and LOTS of fiber I don't know what to do with :/  (Read 1273 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeaucamom
« on: May 30, 2012 10:59:34 PM »

SOOOOOO!!   Seeing as how I love to crochet and would love to love to knit I thought it would be  a brilliant idea to get alpacas...   We live on 13 acres and have plenty of room so I bought 4 very high quality fiber boys.   So we sheared them last year and have bags and bags and bags of fiber.   And we are about to shear again this year in a week or two.

Here is my dilemma:

I wanted to learn how to spin, but two jobs and school full time have impeded that process.   I would ruin this fiber.  And it is toooo expensive to have it processed at a mill.  So what do I do with it?Huh??

I live in Northern Ca, if anyone has any ideas.. please let me know.  The colors are mahogony, pearly white, rose gray and tan.   They are all very high quality and produce beautiful fiber.   The blankets are separated from the seconds.   Thanks, Susanna
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012 11:25:46 PM »

If you are too busy to prep and spin the fiber yourself and you think it is too expensive to have it processed (high quality alpaca roving will sell for $3-$5 an oz), then you should either try to market the raw fiber on as many web sites as you can (raw alpaca may sell for $1 oz) or use it for compost in the garden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
celestya22
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012 10:04:51 AM »

You might try searching for local spinners. I've seen others post (on Ravelry) offering fiber in trade for yarn spun out of a portion of it. That way you'd still get yarn to play with and it wouldn't cost you anything out of pocket either. Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shannin
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012 02:39:22 PM »

Spinners usually go for a 1:1 ratio trade of fiber/yarn. For example, you send 2 pounds of fiber, they keep 1 for themselves and send you back 1 pound of yarn. If it's raw fleece, washing does have weight loss so the split would be for the weight after washing. I'm a spinner in the bay area, hint hint. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog | Etsy | Pintrest | Wishlist
PM me for personal swaps. Smiley
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012 08:31:09 PM »

Shannin, 

That would depend on the spinner and how the fleece owner wants the fleece spun. 

I certainly would not trade a pound of raw fleece for washing, carding and spinning a pound of raw fleece, especially if the fleece owner wanted a 2 or 3 ply worsted weight (or thinner) yarn.  That would keep me busy for a few weeks and a few weeks certainly isn't worth a lb of fiber to me (which I could pick up for $16-$30).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Shannin
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012 09:08:14 PM »

I wouldn't either, but I know a few spinners who have. I wouldn't want to do the fiber prep of washing and carding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog | Etsy | Pintrest | Wishlist
PM me for personal swaps. Smiley
Lornee
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013 09:06:53 AM »

I would suggest seeing if there's a fibre/ spinning etc. group in your local area, where you might be able to sell it. I recently went to a weavers, spinners, and dyers convention, and there were plenty of people selling big bags of fleece straight off their animals. Obviously you get a lower price for it if it's totally unprepared, but if you just need to get rid of it, it might be an idea.
I'm in a similar boat to you- We just had two of our sheep and our 3 alpacas sheared, and before this summer I'd never even used real wool, let alone tried spinning some! I'm hoping I might have just about spun this lot by the time we get the shearers out next year...  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Christmas Scarf
How to Crochet Fab Faux Scarf
How to Crochet Candle Lace Covers
How to Crochet Beanie Hat
How to Crochet Cell Phone Protector
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...