A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
783 Guests and 43 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: glass bottle charms  (Read 2040 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Irishgirl77x
« on: May 30, 2012 12:27:51 PM »

Hi everyone!  I have a quick question. I'm trying to make potion bottle charms and I need something to fill some of them that will dry super clear.  I've tried clear glue and that dried milky white, and i also tried crystal effect by stamping up and that dried opaque and off whiteish.  Any tips or suggestions?  Thanks all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012 10:50:53 AM »

Do you want something that will harden and therefore suspend the items in place?
Or do you want something that will just be thick-ish or rather-thick so the items can move around if the liquid is disturbed?

Here's some info from my files about both:

LIQUID-Y + GELS:

The first possibility would be glycerin or glycerin + water. That's what's usually used in "snow globes" to make the snow fall more slowly.
If you want to read more about those possibilities, and the problems that can happen with mostly-water on dark polymer clay items in water/snow globes, check out this page at my site:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/outdoor_snowglobes_fountains.htm (click on some of the subcategories under "Snowglobes")

Other people have used mineral oil, clear cooking oil, corn syrup, liquid soaps, etc.  Some have even used personal lubricants.

The next possibility would be a real gel like Dippity Do. That's often used by crafters in small bottles when suspending items.

HARD:

Actual 2-part resins** can be used (there are several types) but they'll be more expensive, more fiddly to use and to avoid bubbles, etc. The most common type that gets really hard would be Envirotex Lite, or one like Easy Cast.
Two-part epoxy glues would be the same thing but thicker and come in smaller amounts (the clearest brand I know of is Devcon's 2 Ton 30-Min Set).
You could also use a "softer-setting" 2 part epoxy resin like the kind that's sold for use in clear vases for artificial flowers called "floral setting resin" (there are different brand names). Those would be sold in the floral dept at Michaels/etc, or probably in floral shops.

You could also try something like polyurethane (hardware store), or acrylic "finishes," or clear acrylic fingernail polish, or even floor polishes like Future (now called Pledge with Future Shine) or Mop n Glo, or acrylic medium.

(Diamond Glaze isn't a "resin"...it's a permanent white glue that is clear when reasonably thin like all white glues, but also will dry a bit dimensional.)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012 11:08:21 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Irishgirl77x
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012 01:53:52 AM »

Thank you so much for the reply with tips!  I ended up buying the floral gel and clear elmers glue.  I have not tried the floral resin yet but plan to sometime this week.   The glue was wonderously clear but still has not solidified since Tuesday.   I will try to post how the floral resin does after I test it.  Thanks again!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012 07:03:21 AM »

Fiberglass resin also works ok, slight yellow tint usually when I use it. Your mileage may vary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012 10:10:11 AM »

The glue was wonderously clear but still has not solidified since Tuesday.   I will try to post how the floral resin does after I test it.

That kind of glue "dries," so very little air may be getting to it to cause the drying needed to harden (all the way down...will perhaps dry on the top sooner).  Or you could just cap it tightly and leave it liquid.
The floral resin is a kind of epoxy resin so it won't dry, it will cure by chemical reaction in the 24 hrs or so after the two parts are mixed (if mixed properly).

"Fiberglass resin" is mostly polyester resin (not epoxy resin), and many resins won't be UV-resistant so can yellow eventually with too much UV light, or heat.  One way to prevent that when those resins are used normally, is to coat them with a UV-resistant polyurethane/etc, but can't do that if the resin is in a container I guess (unless you coated the exterior of the bottle with the UV-resistant finish).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
oddmentsandtweaks
Editor In Cheese

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012 07:25:36 PM »

As far as tiny bottles go, if you want something that doesn't move inside, the two-part resin is the way to go. Difficult sometimes and annoying, but it's the clearest and it dries completely.

I tend to use Easy Cast, myself. I also tend to get all of my bottles ready ahead of time and do them in big batches, or have another resin project on the sidelines. Otherwise, you end up mixing way too much resin for just the tiny little bottles and waste a bunch of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://oddmentsandtweaks.artfire.com
------
No swaps right now :_(
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Camera Work for Internet Videos
Plan and Organize Your Internet Video
The Film Lab: Aspect Ratios
SNTV - Take Me Home Tonight
Our 2011 Oscars Winner Picks
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...