A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Child's Hoodie (with pattern!)  (Read 2257 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , pdf_attachment , hoodie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 30, 2012 08:37:35 AM »

Summer is rapidly approaching, or here already, judging from this past weekend's weather here in NJ. I wanted to make my son a light-weight hoodie for the summer, just to keep the beach winds out (or for those chilly A/C-filled stores and restaurants). I found some light jersey with skulls on it in the scrap bin at JoAnn's that I thought would be perfect. It was only 0.75 yards, so I had to make it work somehow. I decided to fashion my own pattern from one of his existing hoodies, and to my surprise, actually pulled it off!

I think DJ likes it, too!  This is my first pattern, and my first post being able to load attachments, so I wanted to share it just in case anyone else could find it useful. I don't have step by step pics, but there are written directions at the end of this post. And of course, PM me if you have any questions! I'm sure if I can figure this out, you can, too!

I made this project with the Master Craftster BERNINA 330 which I thankfully have yet to return. I used the overlocking stitch for all my seams on this project since it mimics a serger. If you have a serger, though, go ahead and use it! The finished seams look as close to professional as I've ever gotten. If you don't have a serger or a machine with an overlocking stitch, a straight stitch and zig-zag will give you a similar effect. This is what I normally would do. Here's a pic for reference (I had no idea what an overlocking stitch looked like prior to this machine!):

The attached pattern should fit a 2-4 year old depending on the size of your little one. My son is 3 and this fits him perfect. Once you download and print out the attached pattern, cut out the pieces and connect the split pieces with tape (these should be clearly marked - if it's confusing, let me know!) Place your pattern pieces on your fabric and cut! Make sure that for the sleeve pieces and the back piece, you place the pattern on the fold of the fabric, as indicated by the arrows. Pattern pieces that will need to be mirrored when cut for left and right are indicated by the word "flip," which tells you to flip the piece over when cutting the second piece.

Right sides together, sew your sleeves lengthwise on the open end. Turn right side out.

Fold the cuff piece in half lengthwise, right side out, and sew the ends together to make a circle. I cut my cuffs out of the same fabric I used for the hoodie, but you could also use ribbing. When sewing, you again want right sides together. For the cuff piece, this won't matter as the pattern should be on both sides of the fabric - just make sure the sewn seem is facing away from the pattern side of the sleeve fabric. Sew the cuff to the narrow end of the sleeve. Repeat for the other sleeve.

Attach the right and left FRONT pieces to the BACK piece (which should be twice the width of the pattern piece if cut on the fold) at the sides and the shoulders, leaving the arm holes open to attach the sleeves. Sew right sides together and flip right side out.

Attach the sleeves to the assembled hoodie at the arm holes. You want right sides together, so the sleeves will be right side out and the assembled BACK/FRONT piece will be inside out.

Right sides together, sew together the two HOOD pieces along the curve. Attach the HOOD to the assembled hoodie along the neck curve. The HOOD piece should almost come to the edge of the FRONT right and left pieces. There should be just enough room on each side of the hood to attach the zipper when finished.

For the bottom cuff, measure and cut out a piece of fabric (or ribbing) 2 inches in width and 25 inches in length (measure along the bottom of you hoodie, as your length may differ slightly). Fold in half as you did for the sleeve cuffs and attach to the bottom of your assembled hoodie. Right sides together.

Attach your zipper and youre done!

It should look like this (or better - I messed up my cuffs a bit, don't look too close!):

Front -

Back -

Wear with pride!

Thanks for looking! Feedback on pattern much appreciated. I'd love to see if others make this! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennythor
crafty where it counts

crafting and swimming will save the world

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012 08:44:48 AM »

hey! i would wear that
what a lucky kid
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love to take part in personal swaps, I would love a poppet of my very own, or a doll like the ones made by Poppets & Lace
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012 10:19:56 AM »

Thanks! My husband immediately asked where his hoodie was. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012 11:36:46 AM »

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing your pattern  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Indiana
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012 04:55:25 PM »

Very awesome. Thanks so much for the pattern! I will be trying this one out very soon, especially seeing as in my neck of the woods, we're just about to start Winter. Brrr! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps, PM me!

Happy Crafting! Smiley
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012 06:40:36 AM »

Thanks guys!! Good luck, Indiana! I'd love to see your finished product Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012 06:14:25 PM »

Thanks! My husband immediately asked where his hoodie was. Cheesy

Ha!  My DH does similar things.  Great hoodie!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Quickie: The Lazy Girl Way To Master Nail Art
How to Pair a Smoky Eye With a Bold Lip
How to Do Lower-Lid Liner
Get the Perfect Flush for Medium Complexions
Learn How to Apply Ombre Eye Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...