A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,077
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Afraid to sew on new Singer HD105  (Read 2236 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2009 10:29:52 AM »

I bought this because it was on sale at Joann's & I've been wanting one. Since I bought it, I set it up & sewed a little piece of denim - that's it. Now it's sitting by itself for over a month now. I bought it to sew faux leather to make bags & other heavy duty stuff for my DH, but because it's not the same machine (Bernina) that I've been using for years, I kind of don't know where to begin. I'm looking for a teflon foot, but do I need heavy duty thread? I don't know what else I may need. It came w/the basic accessories, so I'm set to use it. I just feel kind of stupid, but I need to plunge in & get it going. Any advice/help (kick in the pants) would be greatly appreciated, I don't know why I'm hesitating. Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009 03:59:53 PM »

Well, it appears I didn't do my homework in buying this machine. I went to search for tips on sewing w/this machine & I came across the reviews for this - mostly all are negative  Angry. I will try & sew something & see what it does for me, if any of the complaints show up. I suppose that's why no one's responded to this post, you all must've known. I think I've waited too long to return it, I'll have to check.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009 04:01:34 PM by little me » THIS ROCKS   Logged

melloellow
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009 06:45:52 AM »

Go ahead and play with it! What's the worst that can happen? In the process you'll get experience playing with a new machine and learn what you can and can't do with it.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abssinth
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012 08:20:42 PM »

I know this response is waaaaay late.  lol.  But I was doing some searching on Google for the machine and this post popped up. 

How have you done with it?  Or should I say, how has it done for you?

I bought one close to the same time you did - same reasoning - always wanted an HD machine and it was on sale.  Plus, I had ruined my everyday machine by trying to put a new zipper in some jeans.  (The motor burnt out.)  I knew the reviews on the web weren't that good, but I took them (and all reviews) with a grain of salt.  As long as there's nothing mechanically wrong, that is.  I've always had Singers and love them.  I use mine all the time - not just for HD, but for everything!  The HD105C is the only one I keep set up anymore because I know it'll get the job done no matter what I put through it.  I've sewn multiple layers of denim, vinyl, leather, and pleather, and even hemmed knit and satin materials.  As long as the needle and settings are set for the substrate, the machine does a fantastic job.  My only "gripe" with the machine is the pedal has a hair trigger.  It goes from 0-60 without batting an eyelash, so it makes doing small, intricate sections a bit nerve racking sometimes.  Overall, though, it's been put through it's paces, and it's never given me any issues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Stained Glass Art
Learn about Glass Art
The Art of Turkish Quilting
The Art of Kilim Weaving and Miniature Painting
The Art of Glass and Ceramic Tile Painting
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...