A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first garden. Square foot gardening  (Read 2406 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gr33nT3a
« on: May 28, 2012 10:55:17 PM »

I just wanted to share my first garden. My husband helped make the boxes and I have been taking care of the plants. I will be able to do my first harvest with the radishes tomorrow!

This box has Kabucha pumpkins, zucchinis, cantaloupe, pak choi, bak choy, and radishes all in different stages of growing.

Look at the little cantaloupe flower!

This box has two squares full of pole beans, two squares of cucumbers, lettuce mix, green onions, and beets.

Close ups from the box:

Pole bean flower buds! They are so cute. The flowers are these tiny little purple things.

Cucumbers are going crazy on the trellis.

The green onions.

The BEETS!

Also in another box, which is mostly empty as I wait for my other veggies to grow big in strong inside, is DILL!

And last but not least, my little upstairs nursery which has little baby tomato plants, broccolis, and kale.

My favorite tomato. Is it wrong that I have a favorite? He's just so cute and strong.

Thanks for looking everyone. If you have any gardening tips for these veggies I'd love to hear it. In some ways it's easier what with living in Hawaii, and in other ways it's so hard battling the sun and random raining.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Běifāng yǒu jiārn, jush r dl. Y g qīng rn chng, zi g qīng rn gu. Nng b zhī qīng chng yǔ qīng gu. Jiārn nn zi d.
北方有佳人,绝世而独立。一顾倾人城,再顾倾人国。宁不知倾城与倾国。佳人难再得。
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012 01:29:04 AM »

Oh, that looks sooo good. You are off to a brilliant start on your gardening.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
DeathToLems
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012 01:39:43 AM »

ah so awesome! i love your lay out. i think i saw that on pinterest. You are doing so well.
my first year of trying to grow crops turned out really well too. This year, not so great o_O. But keep up the good work.
Its so rewarding seeing your crops grow.
Its like watching your children grow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoSwiftly
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012 04:53:16 AM »

This is my first year square foot gardening too! I'm in Michigan, so my plans aren't quite as far along as yours. Hope mine looks as nice in a few weeks  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"what am I gonna do with a gun rack?"
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012 06:54:58 AM »

You're doing a great job!  Please keep us updated as things come in.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
mclied
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012 09:29:00 AM »

So exciting!  Can't wait til I have space for a garden Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012 09:30:51 AM »

this looks beautiful and fun! I wish I had been gifted with green thumb!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puamelia

Oh poppet, how you thwart me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012 11:36:54 AM »

Wonderful! yes, pls keep us updated, looks great! Are those pallet boxes or recycled wood, or did you buy wood to make your boxes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Singing the Back to School Blues

Poppet vs Ami - Received, Sent
chibilightangel
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012 06:53:26 PM »

Your garden boxes are looking good! I love the squarefoot garden method Smiley So much stuff in very little space, and once everything is set up and growing (and once the warm temperature gets here) it's so much less upkeep than a traditional garden.

Did you manage to find a vining type zuchini or did you plan to give it extra box growing room as it gets big (maybe radishes around to start?)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gr33nT3a
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012 08:31:21 PM »

Your garden boxes are looking good! I love the squarefoot garden method Smiley So much stuff in very little space, and once everything is set up and growing (and once the warm temperature gets here) it's so much less upkeep than a traditional garden.

It was supposed to be a vine variety but is not putting out any vines. It's just getting huge and taking up waaaaay more space than planned (It is crowding my pumpkins and second batch of bok choy). Next time I plant it I will just put it in one of the corner boxes where it can have a little more room.

Wonderful! yes, pls keep us updated, looks great! Are those pallet boxes or recycled wood, or did you buy wood to make your boxes?

We were originally going to use pallets, but decided not to because we didn't know if they had been treated or not. We ended up using the pallets we got as a base though, to keep air flowing underneath. It can rain a lot here in Hawaii, so this helps to keep the box from just rotting on the concrete.

Instead we built the boxes out of untreated lumber we bought from Lowes. A little pricey, but worth it considering we won't have our plants sucking up any weird chemicals.

@ PixieVal - The fun part about square foot gardening is it is great for beginners. I haven't had a garden since I was a little kid and even then my dad did most of the work.

Today I got to work as a bee too. I'm not too sure if the real bees here are loven' up on my flowers so I went around pollinating with a Q-tip. Hopefully I'll get some cucumbers and cantaloupes out of my masquerading!

Radishes and bok choy coming out tomorrow! Thanks for all the encouragement everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Běifāng yǒu jiārn, jush r dl. Y g qīng rn chng, zi g qīng rn gu. Nng b zhī qīng chng yǔ qīng gu. Jiārn nn zi d.
北方有佳人,绝世而独立。一顾倾人城,再顾倾人国。宁不知倾城与倾国。佳人难再得。
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chinese Style Cooking Part 2/2
Indian Food Style
How to Make Raw Food California Rolls - Part 2
How to Make Raw Food California Rolls - Part 1
How to Find Wine Matches for Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...