A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: book lamp (IMAGE HEAVY)  (Read 1998 times)
Tags for this thread: lampshade  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

likls
« on: May 27, 2012 10:26:03 AM »

hi, craftster! a moth or so ago, i got fed up with my target lamp being shadeless because the shade was ugly. i remembered that someone gave me a fantasy book called gardens of the moon recently with the instructions to destroy it (i tried to read it, just to be sure it was bad. it was so awful. don't read it.), and i got to work! this is just a $20 lamp from target with the cloth cover ripped off the plastic shade, decoupaged with steven erikson's subpar work. (sorry if you're a fan of his novels. this might not be the post for you...)

first, here it is turned on. it gives off this really pretty glow, and i love the sort of vintagey look it has. (please excuse GRODY crafting table. need to clean that up.)

here it is turned off. it looks sort of pasty in these pictures, but it's just the pages of a book. i'm sure you can imagine that color.

thanks for looking! comments and criticisms HEARTILY ENCOURAGED!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012 10:33:17 AM »

Brilliant!  I love how you used those book pages.  Very nice lamp shade!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
likls
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012 11:14:28 AM »

thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012 01:21:06 PM »

What a great idea for old books! I have an old anatomy drawing book that might work for this. And I really like the heart, too.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mclied
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012 09:17:49 PM »

Adorable!  I've been looking around for ways to craft with old textbooks that I can't sell because newer editions have come out.  Definitely liking this idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

likls
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012 11:10:29 PM »

old textbooks would be great for this, i never even considered using one! i have a set of old elementary schoolbooks that i just might use to embellish this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Disobedient Child
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012 06:05:13 AM »

Aieee, brilliant!  I have an old broken lamp, and a couple of old, fallen apart paperbacks, both of which I've kept because "I'm sure I can do something with these".  And now, for the first time ever, I find something to do with these broken bits of crap BEFORE I finally give in and chuck them out (you know how you keep junk for years, then eventually bin it, and then two weeks later find the instructions for a great project you could have made with them? Me, every time).  Thank you so much for this genius and simple idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
likls
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012 01:07:21 PM »

(you know how you keep junk for years, then eventually bin it, and then two weeks later find the instructions for a great project you could have made with them? Me, every time)

I DO THAT TOO! after six years of having this one ball of weird yarn or something, i throw it away, and immediately find the perfect pattern. i was glad i kept this. (i also thought about antiqueing it a little- adding some dye to the mod podge or something.) if you end up doing this, please post in the thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Winnifred

"We are an experiment going right for a change..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012 05:22:48 PM »

As a devoted reader and book-owner, often my first reaction to something like this is "Nooo! That poor book!" However, that looks so amazing. Now I want to go get a really blah book from the thrift store and turn it into something like that. And I don't even have a lamp it would work on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
likls
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012 03:18:39 PM »

it's only painful if it's a good book. it's almost comical how bad this one was... i'm so glad i've inspired you guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Martha Stewart Sits Down with Iron Chef Mark Forgione
JK Rowling Writes About Harry Potter At Age 34
How to Play Chasing the Ace
Meet the Author: Jemma Wayne
Tinsel-Town Tattle Tales! The Actress by Amy Sohn
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...