A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
845 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bob--My First Vector Art  (Read 1032 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyOctober
« on: May 07, 2012 12:08:15 PM »

If any of you guys are over on Ravelry (it's a knit and crochet site), you may be aware they're having a design contest for a new bag they hope to sell in their shop. I thought to myself, "Well, you want to do more with your art, don't you? What do you have to lose? Go for it!"

Problem was, I'm pretty much strictly a traditional media artist, and the design needed to be in vector art format for screenprinting. However, after researching that it's actually quite simple to turn hand-drawn art into vector art, I started brainstorming!

I started with sketches in my sketchbook, trying to nail down a simple picture that fit the theme of a Ravelry celebration, and that could also be reproduced in only three colors. With that limitation, I wasn't able to go with the big one with the sheep and alpaca. When I asked my friends, they liked the little one in the middle, and one friend suggested he hold a dog-shaped balloon animal. I took that idea and ran with it.

I did a quick thumbnail sketch of that concept; having the balloon tethered by a ball of yarn keeps with the fiber arts theme of Ravelry itself. Bob, by the way, is their Boston Terrier mascot.

I then scanned the thumbnail into the computer and printed out several small copies so I could play with colors. Upon popular vote by my friends, it was decided that black, white, and pink would be the color scheme to go with.

I then drew the image on 11"x14" bristol and inked it with Sakura Micron pens. This is the image after it's been inked. There's some whiteout in places where the lines were too thick to my liking. After I inked it, my boyfriend scanned it into the computer in black and white.

And here's the finished vector art! After we scanned the hand-drawn image, I simply opened it with Adobe Illustrator and used their Live Trace feature to turn it into vector art. I dropped in the colors and that was all there was to it!

I'm really proud of it, designwise. I think it's simple and cute, and even if it doesn't win, I'm glad I drew him up anyway. I was really disappointed because voting was supposed to start today (I submitted it to them last week, so it's been nine long days of waiting to see my competition); unfortunately, they got so many submissions that they're still going through them all and I don't know when the voting will start. I'd love any feedback you have to improve my design skills in the future, and hey, if you happen to be a Ravelry member, I sure wouldn't complain if you send a vote my way! Wink But do let me hear your comments and criticisms, as I'm aspiring to get better with my art every day.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012 12:20:38 PM by CraftyOctober » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Yup, definitely not hipster enough for Craftster.
Lilibet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012 12:21:48 PM »

You know what, I love him, and I'm a Ravelry member. I'll keep an eye out for him Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012 12:25:23 PM »

I think your little guy is super cute. I hope you win!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susanab
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012 01:26:07 PM »

who knows how it will turn out--but you did an AWESOME job and i'm sure that lots of people at the site will appreciate this--totally cute and works in all the colors!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.co m
madcrafter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012 01:48:17 PM »

The design is really cute!  I've been doing Object Oriented Art since Coreldraw was first released.  It is so much more powerful than pixel art.  You're talented and I hope you will continue using Freehand or even try Corel.  I envy your adventure ahead!  Good luck in the contest!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enjoy crafting today!

Lois the raving crafter

Stop by my blog and say hi!
http://ravingsofamadcrafter.blogspot.com/
RaeRaggs
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

RaeRaggs

http://raeraggs.blogspot.com/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012 02:10:06 PM »

When I saw your thumbnail on the homepage, I was curious why Ravelry had a post on Craftster.  So, its definitely recognizable.  I think you chose a very good way to get the point across in minimal but cute way.  I also think your drawings of the other wooly critters are pretty adorable too.  I think you did a great job!  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC personal swap? I spy quilt square swap?
glammysami
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012 05:56:01 AM »

Cute! For future reference instead of using live trace try out the pen tool (it takes a little getting used to at first if you're not already familiar with it). It will allow you smoother curves and you can play around with line widths.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyOctober
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012 11:25:50 AM »

Cute! For future reference instead of using live trace try out the pen tool (it takes a little getting used to at first if you're not already familiar with it). It will allow you smoother curves and you can play around with line widths.

I'll definitely have to give that a try. Unfortunately, all I have to use is a little netbook with a touch pad rather than a tablet or a useful mouse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Yup, definitely not hipster enough for Craftster.
andralynn
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012 01:07:04 PM »

I love his expression! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marleymiss
Only Skin

Stitches 'n' Hoes

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012 06:29:08 PM »

I really love him. If that was on a postcard I would buy it immediately,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Guide to Crack a Whip Like Indiana Jones
How to Set Dialogue in a Film Script
How to Recognize Reality TV Editing Tricks
Nuke The Fridge
How to Notice TV Editing Tricks
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...