A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Child's table: Advice, Ideas?  (Read 750 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Breegy
« on: May 24, 2012 10:48:09 PM »

I have this really ugly wooden play table with two chairs that a family member gave to me for my daughter. I would really like to repaint it and turn it into a really cool table for her, but she's only 1 year old and isnt very opinionated yet Tongue.

The surface looks like it might be a glossy stain of some sort, I'm not really sure what I can do over it. I was thinking maybe using some of the chalkboard spray paint I have, but I don't know how well it would stick, and I'm just not committed enough to sand the whole thing down. Any ideas or input? She doesn't have a bedroom theme or anything, so I can't really work around that.

Also, the chairs are really top heavy, any advice to make it more stable other than cutting off part of the chair?
I have two pictures, one by itself and one with her sitting in the chair for size comparison.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stephenmiller
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012 02:54:16 AM »

In the photo the table is looking good the why are you telling that it is ugly? If you want to make it look good then you can paint it and design image of some toys or dolls on it to make it look good and your daughter will also like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artista83
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013 02:34:30 PM »

i used to be a preschool teacher and when i see that table, two things come to mined witd. number one is a lego table. top covered with the base parts and then she can build whatever she wants, will also encourage her to keep toys off the floor!

second would be a sensory table. cut out places in the top to put some sort of water vessel, or sand section. little carpet underneath. my classroom had carpet and it actually was very easy to clean under with a vacume.

third idea is a playmat top. like a nature scenes with a pond and roads or whatnot. the coolest one i ever made for my kids was a zoo. i took little block fences from their toys and sectioned it all off and painted little sections like those at the zoo. my kids played with it forever!!!

other ideas would be an art table. cut out circles to  drop dollarstore cups in and such for storage of crayons. maybe take a woodburner and burn some images into it for her to use to do crayon rubbings, you could teach her how to do crayon rubbings.

another fun sensory stimulation thing that litterally takes hardly anything at all- cover the whole top with different sizes of bubble wrap. use two sided tape all around the outside of the table then cut off access. she will have a really great time at that table!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loves poppets and anything zombie! Will personal swap !
Tenitsu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oh my, where do I start? Here? Okay!

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013 09:30:02 PM »

Dunno how tool-inclined you are, but a friend of mine had a table and chair set for her son that was uber top heavy on the chairs....she drilled out the legs and filled them with sand and reattached them (her chair legs might have been a little wider than yours though...not to sure)

But if I had that table... I'd probably sand it down, stain it a nice light wood stain, and probably paint my little ponies on it (as my daughter is a mlp fanatic!), put a nice sealant on it and let her put stickers all over it like I know she would regardless XD but the bright side of sanding it down and sealing it (regardless of stain) no chance of splinters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hito no ji wa hitori ja tatenai...=)

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Prabal Gurung Fall 2014 NY Fashion Week - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
DIY: The Benefits of Olive Oil
Remove Toxins and Bacteria From Your Body With Oil Pulling
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
How to Make Nails Grow Longer and Stronger
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...