A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
783 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wut's ur favorite vintage project???  (Read 2713 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RetroFreak

"It's all make believe, isn't it?"-Marilyn Monroe

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2004 06:39:14 AM »

Wut's ur favorite vintage project...and how do u make it???  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's only true love if it's retro love <3
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004 09:03:30 AM »

Well, for this one, I'm gonna cheat.  My mother is not exactly crafty, but she's a skilled textile artist.  My favorite piece of vintage craftiness was made by her.  It's a potholder holder.  About a month before Christmas, my aunt sent her a box of her old clothes and some other belongings, some of which were her mothers.  (My grandma is still alive, but has MS, and she has been slowly portioning out her old keepsakes to her children.)

Anyway, among these things was an old potholder holder, made in the 50's.  It's about a foot tall and is basically just a big pocket with a ring at top to hang from a nail on the kitchen wall.  Looks a lot like Holly Hobby, but far earlier.  (It's a profile of a girl in bonnet, skirt and pinafore.) Anyway, my mother fondly remembers this from her early childhood, so made herself a pattern, found some repro fabrics that looked similar and made one each for me, my sister and our aunt.  They are adorable.  

I'll try to get a picture of mine and the original.  Meanwhile, I'll ask my mom if she would share the pattern, but I can't guarantee anything, as she's trying really hard to come up with unique projects that are easy to make so that when she starts selling, she has some inexpensive items.  Most of her things are one-of-a-kind quilted/emrboidered/solf sculpture clothing items, and have far too much time into them to go cheaply.  (She's sold a few pieces for well over $100.)  But, she might be willing to share it with the condition that it not be used for profit.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
barbian7
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004 11:02:16 PM »

I bought some vintage Vogart embroidery transfers on ebay of pin-up girls, and I really want to make some towels.  Of course the designs could go anywhere (pillows, skirts...) I've seen some great stenciled designs too.  A good book for sources is Vintage Tinted Linens and Quilts.  It can be purchased thru www.d-originals.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004 08:14:24 AM »

I love to do tinted embroidery, I use prisma color pencils to tint, and then heat set it. Then I outline ebroider it. I love to make pincuhions as well .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sweet and Sticky Spareribs with Indian Spices
Best-Ever Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe
How to Roll Your Own Sushi
How to Make an Asian Glazed Gammon
World Food: Sushi and Sashimi
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...