A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,385
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 300 Feet of Thorns, Planting a Bare Root Rose Hedge.  (Read 1840 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kasuro
« on: May 21, 2012 04:00:27 PM »

Late last week we finally put in our "fence," made with 150 bare-root Robin Hood Musk Roses. 

The plants arrived looking like this...

As you can see, my dog, Fly, was keeping watch making sure I wasn't molested by any squirrels as I worked. 

We have 2 acres of property, but apparently that's not enough to keep our dogs and chickens from wondering the neighborhood, so I had to close up the North property line as economically as possible. 

The top and right sides of the red box equaled approximately 300 lineal feet. (measurements in the photo are for the whole yard)

While it still cost me $525 to buy 150 roses, it turned out to be 1/3 of the cost of chain link. 

It took me 2.5 days to get all the roses in the ground and would have taken longer if my husband hadn't helped by digging the holes. 

My son also helped by inspecting DH's work

Next up, waiting for the hedge to fill in and we'll need to close up the hole between the house and garage and come up with something to close in the SW corner of our front yard, but we will probably need more traditional fencing for those areas. 

I did write a rather lengthy blog post, that reads a little bit like a tute, about the process I went through to get the roses evenly spaced along a straight line and how to treat a bare root nursery stock when it arrives in the mail. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012 06:25:19 PM »

Wow, that's a lot of work!  How long until they fill out into a fence hedge?  I've never grown roses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
kasuro
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012 04:46:39 AM »

I have high hopes that they'll grow about a foot a year.  So it's not an instant fence, but it should fill-in over time. 

This summer my expectation is based on establishing roots so they won't die over the winter.  Though if next year's winter is anything like the last one, they won't have a problem. 

There's a section, out back, that's full-sun and as long as they get the water they need, should grow like mad.  Other sections have partial shade and may not grow as fast, though they won't dry out as quickly, so I predict they'll keep pace. 

I did give the roses a "Secret Weapon" to help them along - Azomite

These roses don't really want a lot of NPK fertilizer, so the Azomite adds trace minerals to the soil so that growth isn't limited by some missing element.   It's more like a vitamin that a food. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kasuro
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012 04:24:46 PM »

Just a quick update now that the hedge has been in the ground 1 month. 

A few of the plants are even starting to make buds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012 04:19:48 PM »

Looks nice. great job. I can't grow roses where I live because of japanese beetles. Had a beautiful heirloom rose but those beetles killed it everytime in bloomed. Had to dig it up. Cry
Good luck. Keep us posted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kasuro
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012 05:07:50 AM »

Sorry to hear about your pest problem.  Did you try the beetle traps? 

I realize the rose is gone now, but if you ever decide to try it again, you could try hanging traps or there is a beneficial nematode you can buy and spray on the ground in your yard.  The nematodes interrupt the life cycle by attacking the grubs before they come out of the ground as hungry beetles.

I have a flock of chickens who think Japanese beetles taste like Yummy and run over top of each other trying to get the last one.  Not that something else couldn't get them, but if they get buggy, hopefully it's a variety that the chickens will vacuum up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hollie Hobbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012 10:34:28 AM »

Yes. Tried the beetle traps they made it much much worse. So I got rid of those a few years ago and it was better. Since then I have sprayed nematodes and that has helped, but the rose is long gone as well as my heirloom hollyhock etc. I have heard about neem oil also, but don't know much about it. I think some of the problem is I have a small lot in town and other folks don't take action with pests or keeping up their property unless it is spraying the heck out of their grass with chemicals. So, we are pretty much on our own here in my neck of the woods.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kasuro
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012 10:39:22 AM »

I hear you.  We have a large vacant field on one side and neighbors who don't hesitate to fog their whole yard for a picnic.  I'm pretty sure poisoning guests makes one a bad hostess, but I can always cross my fingers and hope the wind is blowing the other way before they entertain. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hollie Hobbie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012 03:53:17 PM »

OMG! Yes. I see that here too. That fogging stuff has got to be bad. I notice that also when we go camping if you can believe it...camping!! I has to be bad for pets too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Catherine Hickland Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
D.J. MacHale Talks About the Morpheus Road Trilogy
Julia Gregson Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Meet Authors Mary and Carol Higgins Clark
Rick Warren Reveals Who He Identifies Most
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...