Hey y'all. Thrift stores, gotta love um! Last night I went to my favorite local used clothes store and picked up a couple of pretty huge mens shirts. This is one of them!
Okay so what I did:
1) Cut off sleeves, set aside (you'll use them later)
2) Take in sides--actually I did this twice cus the first go around it was still too big. If you just get a smaller shirt, this step probably won't be needed.
3) Cut cuffs off of sleeves, button up on first or second button, depending on size needed
4) Sew together hamburger style (long ways)
5) Sew cuffs to middle of shirt to make a waist. I sewed it along the seams on the side of the shirt to give it a nice bunched affect.
6) Place the sleeves upon each other and cut a strip (a few inches wide, close to the same width as the cuffs) from the side (this should produce two strips of fabric)
7) sew these to the sides where you sewed the cuffs, but face them towards the back of the dress. These will become a tie for in the back, so give the dress even more of a waist.
8 ) I like the tie-at-the-neck style and the shirt already buttoned down at the sides of the collar so I sewed in two more strips of the sleves at the neck to tie in a bow.
9) Viola--you have your dress!!
Heres the finished product (sorry no pictures of the back):
I think it came out pretty well. Check back later for a more detailed tutorial!!