A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
433 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cool postcards?  (Read 682 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BudgeIsCool
« on: May 20, 2012 06:03:14 AM »

I volunteer at a local arts-center-and-thrift-store in Hyde Park, and we have bags full of the coolest artsy postcards.  I hate to see them just sitting there, so I bought like 20, and, as they are pretty much name-your-price, I could get like 300 for a few bucks.  They are really cool-looking, but the backs have writing on them, so I couldn't really use them as postcards unless I glued a sheet of paper over the writing, plus I don't think I have enough stamps to mail 300 postcards!  Any ideas for artsy things to do with them?  One idea I had was to make some kind of mobile gallery/"shrine" style thing, like maybe line a cardboard box with them or something, but the idea isn't fully developed, so any advice or ideas would be great!  Also, if you know of any swaps that would want them, let me know!  I hate to see all those cool postcards go to waste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a whole bunch of fliers advertising a series of concerts (but all the fliers are the same), does anyone want them?
bookworm42
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012 01:30:08 PM »

I've seen old postcards used as the fronts of cards (greeting or birthday).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BudgeIsCool
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012 02:08:20 PM »

Me too, the thing is there are just SO many...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a whole bunch of fliers advertising a series of concerts (but all the fliers are the same), does anyone want them?
Cherry Bomb
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012 11:51:22 AM »

You could cover a wall with them, like a bathroom wall for example. Or you could do a kind of freeze where they go round the wall like a border.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

doveylou
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012 12:33:39 PM »

You could make little gift boxes out of them.  I have done this with greeting cards but there's no reason a postcard wouldn't work.  You'd need one for the box top, and another for the box bottom.  For the top, you score a line about 1/2" in from each edge of the postcard.  Then you have a card with a big rectangle in the center, 4 squares in the corners and 4 rectangles on the edges (between the corner squares).  On one of the short edges, cut from the outer edge along one scored line just until it reaches the scored line running in the other direction.  Repeat for the other scored line, then do the same on the other short side.  Now you can fold up the box along the scored lines.  Tuck the little tabs to the inside and use tape or glue to stick the little tabs to the inside of the short ends of the box.  This will be the box top.  To make the bottom, first trim a tiny bit (say 1/8" or less) from one long side and one short side of the postcard, then follow all the steps above.  This results in the bottom being slightly smaller than the top so it can fit neatly and easily inside.  These little boxes are good for jewelry, cash, gift cards, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Layers in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Work With Layers in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Save the Selections in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Refine the Selection Edge in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use the Quick Selection Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...