A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,069
Currently Running With Scissors:
435 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Advice on Packing/Shipping Ceramic Art?  (Read 926 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eapa
« on: May 18, 2012 07:19:16 PM »

Hello, all.  I couldn't find the answer to this question, so hopefully someone here knows what I can do. (Also: I hope I didn't miss it somewhere!)

I've been taking this ceramics class at my local JCC for about six years now, and as a result have an apartment full of ceramic monsters friends all over the place.

This fall, I'm going to be moving from San Francisco to New York City. I plan on shipping most of the stuff in my apartment via one of those PODS portable storage thingies, but I have no idea how to wrap and pack my babies so that they will arrive in NY damage-free.  Some of them are pretty sturdy and don't have dangling parts, but then there are ones like the two pictured below:

Absinthe 3 Quarters by Eapa, on Flickr

Bruce 14 by Eapa, on Flickr

I just know that something's going to bonk them and snap off their legs or something like that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  Have any of you gone through what I'm about to go through, and have any advice that worked?  I'm just worried I'll be unpacking in my new apartment, and find all my work has turned into clay dust in the trip over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snake boobs get in the way of slithering.

I blog about my life adventures, and sometimes even the things I make: http://snakeboobs.blogspot.com/
Kcraft49
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012 07:30:45 PM »

Those are so cool nice job. So real like to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zaluly
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012 04:23:31 AM »

Hi there..my sister sells a ton of stuff on ebay and she uses the box in a box method when she ships..
pack the item(s) in a box with padding, then put that box in a bigger box and pad with newspapers or, since you're moving, you could stuff with towels, blankets, winter clothes, etc. just make sure the items are well padded and don't move around in the inner box and make sure the inner box doesn't move around in the bigger box..good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zaluly
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012 04:26:10 AM »

I forgot to mention how awesome your work is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlewrenpottery
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012 09:04:03 AM »

Yeah double boxing is quite a common method, I try and always have an inch if not more of packing material between the edge of the box and the object inside. I'd really recommend bubble wrap and foam chips of some kind. Blankets will work too if your not wanting to pay too much for materials. Id also separate them out into different boxes, sometimes Ive overpacked boxes as well which is also a problem...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.littlewrenpottery.co.uk Hand thrown stoneware pottery
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012 10:19:56 AM »

I would also recommend bubble wrap around them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Eapa
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012 07:41:44 AM »

Thank you, everyone! Smiley  I had a feeling box-in-a-box would be the way to go, but it's nice to have some confirmation that it actually works. I'm still going to be nervous about my darlings, but now I know how to ensure that at least some of them make it through.

Now just to find a million (okay, only 20 to 25) smaller boxes in various sizes that will all fit inside a bigger box. And hopefully an inexpensive biodegradable packing peanut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snake boobs get in the way of slithering.

I blog about my life adventures, and sometimes even the things I make: http://snakeboobs.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Styling Tips for Fine Hair
How to Straighten Curl Hair
How to Style a Braided Ponytail
How to Create the Faux Bob Look
How to Create Glamorous Waves in Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...