A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tortelloni di Pollo e Aglio Selvatico con Semplice Sugo di Pomodoro  (Read 967 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2012 10:16:00 AM »

Or Chicken and wild garlic Tortelloni in a simple tomato sauce lol thank you google translate.

So, my mum gave me a pasta machine which had been in her shed since she and my stepdad married in 1992. she'd either never used it, or used it once. I figured, what the heck?

First off, the pasta. This was 1 cup 00 Grade white flour (8oz for non USA readers), and 1 beaten egg, plus a sprinkly of salt and a little water. Pasta is an art form, I can't tell you if the egg will be enough moisture or if you'll need the water.
if using a heavy duty mixer with a dough hook, put the flour and egg in together, set to just above minimum and ignore for a while.
if doing it by hand, put your flour on the kitchen worktop, and make a well in the middle. pour your beaten egg in and gently mix together. this is a method which takes some practise not to get egg all over your worktop, but just be careful lol.

Anyway, I used my darling Kenwood, so I got to ignore it for a while. I checked about 5 mins later, and saw it was quite dry so I SLOWLY added dribbles of water until it just came together as a solid dough, then I left it to knead a little longer in the mixer. I then kneaded it a little by hand, wrapped in saran wrap (cling flim) and put in the fridge for an hour to rest.

Now for the filling. Again, I am a martyr lol. I collect antique mincers, so I figured I'd mince my own cheap cuts of chicken. for 32 tortelloni, I used 3 chicken legs, skinned, boned, de-sinewed and minced. you can chop finely if you're not a Spong owner Wink

I fried this off gently until just cooked, and then turned off my cooker but left the pan in the hot place. Then I then added some finely chopped wild garlic leaves (you can use normal garlic if you want), home grown oregano (again, use a packet if you want but for this recipe fresh is better than dried), home grown chives (theme anyone?) home grown basil (yep. again.) and a home grown sorrel leaf (use a little lemon zest if you've not got sorrel! or as well as the sorrel. you know, whatever!).

I stirred well, and then dollopped in some cream cheese. just 1tsp to bind the filling a little. I used a lactose free cream cheese, but again it's all about taste. you could use creme fraiche, plain fromage frais or ricotta. check the seasoning.
This was left to cool while I surfed the internet for a little while.

once this was cooled, I set about rolling out the pasta dough. the pasta machine was such a *sweary swear swear swear I do my own censoring sweary swear* that I gave up on the *sweary swear* and rolled by hand, painful, but worth it.

Then once rolled out, I cut out my circles using a 1.5" plain edge cookie cutter, coating each side in a little flour while I stacked.

to fill and fold: wet the edge of the pasta circle with milk or water, and put a little filling in the middle of the circle. fold the edges together to make a semi-circle shape (for brits: kinda like a cornish pasty). hold with the flat edge towards you, folding the curved edge away from you. pinch the pointy corners to fix in place. I know this probably makes no sense, but I am planning to do a youtube vid next time I make these so watch this space.

leave to dry for some hours. 1 is ok, but 2-4 is better.

now, to cook the tortelloni, get a very large pan, fill it 3/4 full with water and add a little salt. you do not need oil.
get it to a rolling boil, then drop in your tortelloni one by one. otherwise they stick together.
keep them on a high boil for 5 mins. drain them and quickly drop them into heated sauce, stir and serve.

the sauce was half an onion, finely chopped
a bayleaf
300mls passata (I made my own by blending a can of tomatoes lol)
a little garlic
some bullion powder (Brits: Oxo or similar)
a sprinkle of sugar
a squeeze of lemon juice
concentrated tomato paste.

fry the onion until see through but not brown. add the garlic quickly followed by the passata and tomato paste. throw in the bayleaf and cook high to reduce by about 1/3, keep stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick, check seasoning.
I suggest making this BEFORE cooking your tortelloni because they're incredibly quick and this takes some time.

serve with a little shredded basil.

I was so pleased!!! they're yummy, they take a lot of time, but they're worth it.

sorry for the terrible photo of the half eaten dindins, I'd already scarfed a load before I remembered to take a photo.

and finally, this is the pasta machine in the box we keep for the scrap metal collector (rag and bone man).

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012 11:25:26 AM by mrsflibble » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Joyy
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012 01:04:26 AM »

Looks delicious!
They remind me of russian pelmeni Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012 06:49:56 AM »

YUM!

I've only ever heard the term "rag man". What does the "bone" refer to? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmenmarie
I like getting crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012 12:52:55 PM »

Yummo.  We had homemade tortellini last week too.  Chicken spinach and mushroom, some much better than bought stuff Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012 03:37:23 AM »

YUM!

I've only ever heard the term "rag man". What does the "bone" refer to? Smiley

in the victorian era, rag and bone men would go round the houses to collect rags and bones to be recycled.
rags would be stripped, cleaned, respun and turned into a fabric called "shoddy" which was very cheap, but didn't last very long.... hence the colloquial term "shoddy" meaning something of poor quality.
The bones collected from people's kitchens would be cleaned, ground and either added to fertiliser or used for something in the pottery or brick making industry, basically these guys helped fuel the industrial revolution.
nowadays, they drive round in a beaten up old van collecting scrap metal, but they're still known as rag and bone men lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Plating the Crab Cakes
Making the Aioli for the Crab Cakes
Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes Recipe
Plating the New York Strip Steak
Making Cognac Butter for the Strip Steaks
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...