A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spring Harvest  (Read 3861 times)
Tags for this thread: harvest  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Midnight Sun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012 04:28:27 PM »

I'm crying and laughing at the same time here... Cheesy Cheesy  Crying cuz I'm really jealous of your fresh grown goodies already!  Laughing cuz my neighbour and I just planted our stuff today...we had over 6" of snow last week and then it warmed up a little bit and melted...still frosty nights though but we were feeling brave today and TIRED of winter.  Your produce looks lovely  Grin  Most people here have greenhouses with woodstoves or oil burners so they can start growing in them while it's still winter in March/April.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012 02:48:44 AM »

Six feet of snow last week!?  Good luck with what you planted out, fingers crossed your frosty weather is over! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
ChrisSews
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012 04:05:43 AM »

6 feet in one week would be a lot even for us Alaskans!  6 inches is what Midnight sun said.  Even so, any snow in May is never welcome!  Midnight sun are you on the Kenai peninsula?  I some friends in Homer were talking about the snow they got last week. 

No snow here in Anchorage but I tried to transplant some rhubarb this weekend.  When I went to dig it up the ground had only thawed the top couple of inches...below that was still frozen solid with lots of ice chunks. Good thing my raised beds are on the 'warm' and sunny side of the yard so they've managed to thaw out.

I'm always jealous of you southern gardeners this time of year when you're harvesting your winter/spring crops and us northern gardeners are still waiting to see that 1st green shoot!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012 04:10:49 AM »

LOL!  That's what I get for checking Craftster so early in the morning!  ChrisSews, what kind of crops do you Alaskans start your season with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Midnight Sun

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012 08:23:24 AM »

6 feet in one week would be a lot even for us Alaskans!  6 inches is what Midnight sun said.  Even so, any snow in May is never welcome!  Midnight sun are you on the Kenai peninsula?  I some friends in Homer were talking about the snow they got last week.   

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked If it had been 6' I would have gone off planet  Cheesy Cheesy  Thanks for clarifying it was inches  Grin  I'm not in Alaska, I'm in the Yukon Territory, next door and inland!  My rhubarb popped out just before it snowed and I swear that it was shivering after the snow melted  Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
ChrisSews
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012 02:05:18 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked If it had been 6' I would have gone off planet  Cheesy Cheesy  Thanks for clarifying it was inches  Grin  I'm not in Alaska, I'm in the Yukon Territory, next door and inland!  My rhubarb popped out just before it snowed and I swear that it was shivering after the snow melted  Cheesy Cheesy
[/quote]

Sorry I assumed you were an Alaskan...with a name like Midnight Sun and snow in May I just figured you had to be in Alaska.  I guess or Northern Canadian neighbors can enjoy both the midnight sun and May snow as well. 

LOL!  That's what I get for checking Craftster so early in the morning!  ChrisSews, what kind of crops do you Alaskans start your season with?

I generally try to get the peas (snap peas and regular) out early.  Lots of folks grow radishes early but I don't care for them.  Early on it's mostly greens for me.  I start with the more cold hardy kale and spinach.  A variety of lettuces.  That's pretty much what I can expect to harvest early (early being sometime in June).  Then there are beets, mini egg turnips, and carrots which if I got them out early enough I might be able to start harvesting in July.  All the cabbage and broccoli go out early as they can handle the still cold and frosty May nights with just a bit of cover but won't harvest until the fall. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
wersiamese
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012 01:56:01 PM »

Looks Yummy

wersiamese
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Luke Evans on The Three Musketeers
Cosplay Fans at Comic-Con 2011
Social Documentary Film Production Tips
How to Tell a More Impactful Emotional Story
How Clinton Global Initiative Empowers Young Filmmakers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...